• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

can monsters use second wind?

ryryguy

First Post
I know monsters do have healing surges - isn't it 1 for regular, 2 for elites, 3 for solos? I don't recall where this is stated but I'm pretty sure... I think it also said a monster's healing surges generally aren't relevant.

I assumed this was due to a couple of things. Monsters are generally supposed to lose to PC's, so having them heal all the time does not add to the fun. Unlike PC's, they generally don't have powers that activate their own or their allies healing surges. Besides, the PC's have so many more surges and healing powers that it's not a winning strategy for the monsters to get into a "heal off" with the PC's.

So. With all that in mind, I figured that monsters would generally not use a second wind action not because they can't, but just because it's suboptimal/less fun.

But I just saw that the Sphinx has second wind called out as a specific power. If second wind actually is universally available to monsters, why would it be given explicitly to the Sphinx? Can monsters actually not use second wind unless specifically allowed?

PS - I saw also that outside the Sphinx's stat block there's something about giving the Sphinx a second use of its second wind if the PC's don't solve its riddle. I don't think that's relevant because it could work exactly the same way if all monsters could use second wind as usual - it'd just be an exception to the general rule rather than an exception to a specific Sphinx-only power.

Donatello

Explorer
In general Second Wind is not available to monsters unless their stat block specifically gives them one. As a DM, if you feel the challenge wasn't adequate for the encounter, giving the occasional creature a Second Wind won't ruin the game.

I noted that most 1st level monsters have more HP than 1st level characters. I think this is how they balanced the lack of Second Wind.

I also think that giving Solo creatures a Second Wind could unbalance the encounter. Consider the Young White Dragon, the lowest-level Solo creature chiming in at level 3. He has 200 hp. A Second Wind would heal him 50 hp, a fair shake more than any 3rd level character has. I can't imagine the implications of letting epic-level Solos spend a standard action to heal 300-400 hp. Seems like it would weigh things too heavily in the favor of the monsters.

DracoSuave

First Post
I know monsters do have healing surges - isn't it 1 for regular, 2 for elites, 3 for solos? I don't recall where this is stated but I'm pretty sure... I think it also said a monster's healing surges generally aren't relevant.

I assumed this was due to a couple of things. Monsters are generally supposed to lose to PC's, so having them heal all the time does not add to the fun. Unlike PC's, they generally don't have powers that activate their own or their allies healing surges. Besides, the PC's have so many more surges and healing powers that it's not a winning strategy for the monsters to get into a "heal off" with the PC's.

So. With all that in mind, I figured that monsters would generally not use a second wind action not because they can't, but just because it's suboptimal/less fun.

But I just saw that the Sphinx has second wind called out as a specific power. If second wind actually is universally available to monsters, why would it be given explicitly to the Sphinx? Can monsters actually not use second wind unless specifically allowed?

PS - I saw also that outside the Sphinx's stat block there's something about giving the Sphinx a second use of its second wind if the PC's don't solve its riddle. I don't think that's relevant because it could work exactly the same way if all monsters could use second wind as usual - it'd just be an exception to the general rule rather than an exception to a specific Sphinx-only power.

Most creatures in D&D do not have Second Wind as an ability or power. Player Characters -specifically- have it, as well as more healing surges, but monsters do not have the Second Wind ability.

The Sphinx, therefore, is an exception.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Yep. Monsters all have Healing Surges, but not Second Wind.

Leader Monsters who can trigger Surges are very powerful!

Cheers, -- N

Fizzlemeyer

First Post
Healing Surges

This information is actually on pg. 7 of the MM. Monsters do get healing surges and can therefore take a second wind action. What they generally do not have is powers that let them spend healing surges. (though they would if they had a monsterous cleric or warlord in the group.)

The healing surge allocation is per tier
heroic tier gets 1
paragon tier gets 2
and epic tier gets 3

Dalzig

First Post
This information is actually on pg. 7 of the MM. Monsters do get healing surges and can therefore take a second wind action. What they generally do not have is powers that let them spend healing surges. (though they would if they had a monsterous cleric or warlord in the group.)

The healing surge allocation is per tier
heroic tier gets 1
paragon tier gets 2
and epic tier gets 3
Having healing surges does not automatically allow the use of Second Wind.

Incenjucar

Legend
This gives creatures a reason to carry around potions and gear like Dwarven Armor.

This also allows characters to be particularly heroic; during a "Save The Whale!" skill challenge I designed, the players got a big kick out of helping the whale use its healing surge.

ryryguy

First Post
Ok, I can agree that it might be problematic for monsters to use second wind. But where does it specifically state that monsters can't use it? Just curious...

MarkB

Legend
Ok, I can agree that it might be problematic for monsters to use second wind. But where does it specifically state that monsters can't use it? Just curious...

PHB page 291.

"Unless otherwise noted in the statistics block of a monster or nonplayer character, this action is available only to player characters."

ryryguy

First Post
Thanks, MarkB!

(Sheesh, I still have not been able to read all 3 books cover to cover... and even the parts I have read, I'm sure I haven't fully digested everything. New system overload! :))

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads