Can Sharpshooter be used with a Net?

G

Guest 6801328

I believe that WotC intentionally left these little edge cases dilemmas in the game as an aid for DMs.

When somebody shows up arguing that sharpshooter should be applicable to a net, for example, you know to never invite that person back. Better now than 20 sessions into the campaign.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Personally I wouldn't have any issue with many of the features of sharpshooter with a net, except the -5/+10 feature. The rest is fine IMO.

Supergyro

Explorer
There doesn't need to be a page number. It's called logical deduction and is the foundation of most math and computer science.

Evidently you didn't read my original post.. It's sad I have to repeat it...

"--" could mean "does no damage and can not be given damage by feats" or it could mean "does no damage and can be given damage by feats". You seem to argue the latter when it could very well be the former, the book does not say. It's probably not mean the latter since to say the latter they could have said '0', but again, hard to say, since it's not defined.

I don't see how a math book would resolve this. To use mathematical language. If for all X, F(X)=0.. it could be F(X)+10 or it could be F(X+10). The first is '10', but the second is '0'. Now unless you can point to the rulebook as to where, you're just enforcing a house rule. There is nothing in a math book that resolves this conundrum since, the rules use a symbol "--" and do not define the order of operations for that symbol.

So either point to the rulebook page or even a page of a mathbook page that defines "--" to give the order of operations involved... without either, as I said, you're just enforcing a house rule and pretending it has empirical basis.

[MENTION=6795602]FrogReaver[/MENTION] would say it has 0 mass. It actually has mass but its value is inconsequential to the encumbrance mechanic. Its mass is N/A.

Nothing can have N/A mass. Even photons have zero mass. In this case "-" clearly represents a very small amount*. Which is not the same as zero, and not the same as N/A. And there is no indication that the "-" in the listing for net means anything different to the "-" in the listing for sling. And the maths is simple. A very small number + 10 = 10.very small number.

*If you want to be more precise, 0<"-"<0.25.

Nothing can have N/A mass. Even photons have zero mass. In this case "-" clearly represents a very small amount*. Which is not the same as zero, and not the same as N/A. And there is no indication that the "-" in the listing for net means anything different to the "-" in the listing for sling. And the maths is simple. A very small number + 10 = 10.very small number.

*If you want to be more precise, 0<"-"<0.25.

I didn't say it has N/A mass. (well, I did, but it's not what I meant) I said its mass is negligible when calculating encumbrance. Encumbrance is a game mechanic. So it doesn't have N/A mass, nor does it have 0 mass. Its mass (whatever that might be because I've never weighed a sling) is not applicable to the game mechanic. So, to clarify, we agree.

wait.

Ok, the spell Darkness does '-' or 0 damage (according to the arguments flying around)
I argued that, if that were the case, Since Darkness is an evocation, Empowered Spellcasting should add your INT bonus damage to darkness because 0+INT bonus = damage.
I was told that f(x)=0 and regardless of what I added to 0, it would always be 0. Darkness would have no effect on my hit points.

using this logic:

A sling has a weight of '-' or 0
regardless of what I add to 0 it will not have an effect on my encumbrance.
I add Fullplate armour
f(x)=0. Full plate cannot add mass to my sling, therefore the result is 0..

Having a sling your backpack makes everything you carry weigh 0

Do I have it right?

Remove ads