Can someone point me to a simple space combat system?

John Q. Mayhem

Explorer
I'm on the lookout for a very simple system for d20 space combat. I basically don't want to make my players learn a new system to fight in space (they're all newbies), and I'd like something that's simple and fast. Ideally, the only stats would be HP and AC of a ship, attacks of its weapons, and a bonus or penalty on some sort of Piloting skill check...That might be a little too simple, though. I'm kind of leaning towards just doing that, and having opposed Pilot skill rolls determine a bonus or penalty on your ship's attacks and/or speed. But anyways, any suggestions on simple starship combat systems? Any advice or recommendations will be much appreciated!

Pbartender

First Post
If you're going for simple, and you want to stick with D20, look at the D20 Modern/Future SRD.

The Starships section of the Future SRD begins with rules for space combat that are, in effect, almost exactly the same as D20 D&D combat, but rescaled for use with spaceships.

5 ft. squares become 500 ft squares... Tow cables and tractor beams allow you to grapple... Point defense systems let you take AoOs... Afterburners allow you to charge or run... and so on...

It's not really any "simpler" a combat system than regular D&D, but it definitely be familiar enough to anyone who does play D&D to learn quickly.

John Q. Mayhem

Explorer
Thank you very much! Those are working great. I got a DC to GP formula from a friend of mine, and the Future system looks like exactly what I wanted.

Remove ads