• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Can we please stop calling D&D Insider an MMORPG

DonTadow

First Post
Visceris said:
If I am going to spend money I won't spend money on just zeroes and ones. I want tangible physical objects when I spend money. That is why I refuse to buy something that is just PDF or any online subscription fees. If WotC wants me to buy Dragon Magazine or Dungeon like I have in the past then they need to put it out on the newstand. Buy a computer file that can be easily erased or corrupted? Sorry, not going to happen.
Cool, can I send my rotary phones to you???

If you want to think of PDFs as just 0s and 1s then you might as well consider books as nothing but atoms and molecules. Do you own a computer? software on that computer?

The problem with Ripzerai's posts is that he's making the same mistake as all the grognards in the General board's recent "1E vs. 4E Art Discussion" (titled, I believe, something like "I hope 4E's theme and tone are more like ...") who insisted that 3.X's art was "anime" made.

He's using a completely different definition of the word than the rest of the public. Accordingly, it makes meaningful conversation practically impossible.

In a similar vein, I hereby declare that 4E and D&DI are quilted.

Asmor

First Post
Patryn of Elvenshae said:
In a similar vein, I hereby declare that 4E and D&DI are quilted.

Quilted my ass! 4e isn't even 2-ply, it's just one crappy little sheet.

1e? Now that was a quicker picker upper.

denzoner

Explorer
Asmor said:
D&D insider is nothing like an MMORPG. NOTHING!

I wholly agree with this statement. D&D Insider is Subscription Based Supplementary Tools and Materials, SBSTM. It will be completely OPTIONAL to use to play D&D.

There will be 3 core books with everything you NEED to play D&D just like you have always played it, on the table, with dice and figures (if you like figures). You will still sit in front of each other, picking your nose, sharing Cheetos, and rolling dice with your orange fingers, and erasing hit points off your greasy character sheets. That is how I will be using be playing. Nothing has changed. Just the rules, a bit. The basic mechanic is still D20. There will be elves, paladins and magic weapons. There will be spells and traps. There will be monsters.

Do you get it now?

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
rjdafoe said:
I have read about this, I forget where, but the idea behind this is a whole philosophy change to the way 4th edition product are created. The sinple description, the way I understand it, is they are going to more of a dataset mentality for everything. The product and dataset are created at the same time. We shall see how successfull this whole thing is as 4th edition products come out.

But you are right, there are technical issues. If handled as a part of the product, they should be able to go live at the same time as published.
I like them going to a database system. This should allow them to reprint crucial elements -- Swift/Immediate Actions in 3E, for instance -- more easily in other books and, if something is updated, it should appear in updated form whenever it's reprinted. I suspect this also means they will print the book using links (in the layout document) to the database, instead of building each layout document individually. What that should mean is that reprints will automatically include errata.

Imaro

Legend
Well what about the early generation of console MMORPG, like Phantasy Star online for Dreamcast? I could play at home not connected to the internet, with just the content on the original disc...or I could play online with added content and people far, far away for an additional subscription. Well, is it sort of like that? ;)

rjdafoe

Explorer
Whizbang Dustyboots said:
I like them going to a database system. This should allow them to reprint crucial elements -- Swift/Immediate Actions in 3E, for instance -- more easily in other books and, if something is updated, it should appear in updated form whenever it's reprinted. I suspect this also means they will print the book using links (in the layout document) to the database, instead of building each layout document individually. What that should mean is that reprints will automatically include errata.

I wish I could remember where I read it at this point. I have read and watched so many things tryong to get as much info as possible, that I seem to have forgotten...

Oh well, I agree. If it works, it should make everything easier to do, without a wait time for when the book material is done.

Pale

First Post
RigaMortus2 said:
Pay more? Actually, it is less. Going with your estiamte, Dragon was $120 a year. Now throw in Dungeon mag as well (since that content is also part of DI) and that is another what, another $120? So that's $240 a year if you subscribed to both mags. D&DI is reported to cost $9.95 a month (or, $120 a year). So not only are you getting the content of BOTH Dragon and Dungeon mag at a smaller price than you would be paying for them, you also get all the other content (character creator, the online map/grid, etc.).

Not only are you NOT paying more fpr D&DI vs. the mags, you're actually paying less.

Actually, what he said was Dragon wasn't $120 a year. Reading comprehension at it's finest, ladies and gentlebeings.

charlesatan

Explorer
Sunderstone said:
My problem is just how much bonus content (like web enhancements) will only be available only to subscribers. Although this may seem optional to most, it doesnt sit well with me (and likely others) as we will either have to pay to get them. These bonus materials are usually presented to support the books which you've already spent an average of $30-$40 on. Yes they are optional but catering to only one faction of gamers (subscribers only) isnt generally good practice.
I happen to like web enhancements, forcing me to subscribe in order to keep getting them isnt something I had wanted to do.

Not necessarily.

Wizards of the Coast has stated that the Dragon/Dungeon issues will be compiled monthly. They have also stated that certain features of DND Insider will be available for a fee to non-subscribers (i.e. playing the virtual tabletop once instead of unlimited access for a flat amount). I think this also applies to the monthly/quarterly/annual Dragon/Dungeon compilations but it's a wait-and-see whether that's true.

Either way, some Dragon/Dungeon material has made its way into the supplements so at the worst case, you won't the material today but in the future you will when you buy a supplement.

There will also be free material on the website although what those are aside from the FAQs and errata remains to be seen.

Remove ads