• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Can you do a "diamond" shaped blast?

Torg Smith

First Post
KarinsDad said:
Saying that "3-square by 3-square" (especially in reference to the actual previous rule of a specific number squares on a side) means "3 x 3 square" and ONLY "3 x 3 square" does not make it true. Ask any English major.

your quote of "3-square by 3-square" is incorrect. it is "3-square-by-3-square area"

KarinsDad

Adventurer
Torg Smith said:
As a follow up the term Blast X is a single number that represents two sides next to each other that meets the need of calculating an area. This in its self defines a square.

You made this up too.

Totally illogical and nonsensical, but you are persistent if nothing else at making stuff up.

Code:
. . . . . .
. x x x . .
. . x x x .
. . . x x x
. . . . . .

"a single number (3) that represents two sides next to (next to does not mean perpendicular) each other that meets the need of calculating an area" which is not a square.

Your phrase here is not in the rules, but it too is not limited to a square.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter

Several pages ago, I gave a civility warning. It appears to me people are starting to ignore it.

I will remind you all that there is no need to "win" this thread. You get no prize for beating the other guy into submission. You can run the rule in any way you want in your own game. Thus, there is only so much need for repetition, and exactly zero need to get nasty about it.

KarinsDad

Adventurer
Torg Smith said:
your quote of "3-square by 3-square" is incorrect. it is "3-square-by-3-square area"

"3-square by 3-square area"

Code:
. . . . . .
. x x x . .
. . x x x .
. . . x x x
. . . . . .

3 squares on each side. It represents an area. Sides do not need to be perpendicular to each other in a geometric shape.

Torg Smith

First Post
Umbran said:

Several pages ago, I gave a civility warning. It appears to me people are starting to ignore it.

I will remind you all that there is no need to "win" this thread. You get no prize for beating the other guy into submission. You can run the rule in any way you want in your own game. Thus, there is only so much need for repetition, and exactly zero need to get nasty about it.

Yes, I agree with you and will post no more on this topic.

Xanaqui

First Post
This is why Pi = 2 is not a good idea

The easiest solution is to house-rule diagonals back as they are in 3.x. Otherwise, you're stuck in a geometry that has a Pi of 2, where circles are squares, and any accurate visualization of even this trivial of a problem requires double the number of dimensions one would expect (4 in this case).

Using a crude method of estimation, I think that a diagonal "square" that's length roughly 2.12 (=3/sqrt(2)) on the right side (why? Because in that direction, sqrt(2) = 1 in the other direction. really - you need to look at this problem in 4 dimensions. Make a bunch of circles in paper, and tape them together so that each circle touches 8 others, and has no empty space between circles, and you'll quickly see what I mean as you'll run out of 3-space very quickly) would get you close to the same area as the one on the left side.

Of course, this is sort of a meaningless exercise - why? because the square you show on the left side of your example is, in fact, diagonal. Even worse, if you rotate it any number of degrees, you get exactly the same shape as the one on the left side; the one on the right is no form of rotation, of the one on the left. That's because a square is a circle. From a geometric standpoint, what you're trying to do on the right side is the same as offsetting a area effect in 3.x so that it hits different partial squares. As such, only portions of some squares are hit.

So if I were to allow offsets, I'd permit a diagonal of 2 (why? because 2 is a simpler number than 2.12), which would likely mean that 2 orcs is are fully hit, and 2 orcs are hit in half their space (perhaps give them +2 to defense and evasion?).

Now, obviously I'm ignoring RAW above. If you do permit the shape on the right, I'd consider virtually always using it - it simply hits more area. If you want an argument to disallow it, note that the shape on the right is not a square.

Xanaqui

First Post
Xanaqui said:
Now, obviously I'm ignoring RAW above. If you do permit the shape on the right, I'd consider virtually always using it - it simply hits more area. If you want an argument to disallow it, note that the shape on the right is not a square.
For those of you who like the shape on the right, note that you can get more area or volume out of it if you apply the same logic in 3-space.

Xorn

First Post
"A meteor lands on your head, killing you."

"What? I was casting thunderwave."

"Yup. Immediate Interrupt for participating in that thread on EnWorld. It does a million d10 + 150% of your max hit points. You die. Messily. Anyone else want to argue for 14 pages on how to place a blast?"

The above is my official table rule. We've added it to our campaign footnotes.

Dracorat

First Post
KarinsDad, thank you for understanding.

I hadn't considered that the original shape I was using was the same as the unrotated with additional points on the side. Larger shapes wouldn't be, but at this size it is. Anyway, it's probably the best example I've seen that RAI is not matching RAW.

With that in mind, I'll have the players stick to the square or rhomboid variants. Those handle the majority of what we need them to do anyway.

That is, the group not using 3.5 shapes anyway.

Most of the chatter here I am no longer responding to. I believe my point has been illustrated beautifully and that most of the follow up has been a reiteration of point already discussed, so there is nothing to be had by reiterating my own points.

Again, thanks for your objectivity. (And the few other people who were able to see where I was coming from.)

Obryn

Hero
KarinsDad said:
Except that "a wall fills continguous squares" according to the rules. The moment a square is filled, it counts as a square. If you half fill squares, you are ignoring the first sentence of a wall definition and you do not have a wall.

The blast discussion is not ignoring any of the rules.
No, I'm not half-filling squares. The BLAST DIAMOND OF FOUR EXTRA SQUARES AND DEATH can fill entire squares even when its corners are just going into spaces. Therefore, the WALL OF AWESOME fills squares when it's halfway into spaces.

"Blast: A blast fills an area adjacent to you that is a specified number of squares on a side."

A Wall says... "A wall fills a specified number of contiguous squares within range"

My WALL OF AWESOME is still filling contiguous squares.

-O

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads