Can you hear a Rebuke Undead attempt

Let's say that an evil cleric tried to Rebuke Undead near a sleeping person, would the sleeping person notice something going on near him. The PHB description doesn't have anything on whether it makes noise or creates some sort of mental creepy feeling, and I would like you opinions and arguments.

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
Technically, there's nothing in the rules saying that turning requires a vocal component (at least, nothing I could find).

However:
1) If the ghouls aren't surprised by the cleric, they're likely to hiss and spring to the attack, making noise
2) It's way reasonable to require that presenting one's holy symbol must be accompanied by an appropriate plea to one's deity: "Foul Ahriman, grant me dominion over these servants of the darkness!"
3) If you don't rule this way, the PCs will all die; since you have some wiggle room, mercy might be appropriate ;).

Daniel

hong

WotC's bitch
If you want a rationale one way or the other, in 2E you had to speak in a commanding voice and make gestures in order to turn/command undead. You could thus fall back on tradition if no-one else comes up with a definitive answer.

Remove ads