Can you name a fantasy rpg that is really flexible and not too difficult to learn?

Rafael Martin

Adventurer
Can you name a fantasy rpg that is really flexible and not too difficult to learn? I am in the process of creating a fantasy world, but I am finding D&D 5e isn't flexible enough to make the type of characters that I want to. Can you help me out?
1577591681309.png

generic

On that metempsychosis tweak
I strongly recommend Shadow of the Demon Lord, by the master, Schwalb. It's genre-portable, horror-supporting system with dynamic character 'classes' that can be mixed and matched. SotDL's Advantage/Disadvantage system, Boons and Banes, is more intuitive than 5E's A/D rulings, and bonuses stack neatly and evenly in SotDL.

Rafael Martin

Adventurer
I strongly recommend Shadow of the Demon Lord, by the master, Schwalb. It's genre-portable, horror-supporting system with dynamic character 'classes' that can be mixed and matched. SotDL's Advantage/Disadvantage system, Boons and Banes, is more intuitive than 5E's A/D rulings, and bonuses stack neatly and evenly in SotDL.
Thank you. :)

innerdude

Legend
Agree with @awiredprairie --- what are you defining as "flexible"?

Are you wanting something that can handle lots of varying power levels (zero to demi-god)?

Are you wanting something with fast, easy prep so you can focus on story?

Do you want something that lets you move between settings / genres easily?

Do you want something that is more "flexible" in providing player narrative control instead of simple binary pass/fail action resolution?

My default go-to system for everything is Savage Worlds, and in my opinion it's much more flexible and easier to learn than D&D.

The first question I ask myself when considering what system to use for a particular campaign is, "Is there anything that will work better for this setting than Savage Worlds?" It does so many things well, with an elegant, intuitive system.

Edit: Forgot to mention that Savage Worlds has incredibly easy prep. You can easily prep sessions in 15-30 minutes, and if push comes to shove and you need to totally wing it, it'll generally hold together just fine. You may not get the epitome of roleplaying excellence with zero prep, but the game won't come to a screeching halt.

But ---- it doesn't support as wide a range of power levels; its default mode is functionally equivalent to D&D levels 2-9.

Also, Savage Worlds produces a very specific feel in play, even when moving between genres. If you don't like the way it feels in one setting, switching to another setting isn't going to change the basic feel of gameplay. I think most systems are like this, so it's not necessarily a black mark, but something to be aware of.

Last edited:

Starbrat

Explorer
For free-range fantasy I'd recommend, depending on your tastes, EN Publishing's own O.L.D, Pinnacle's Savage Worlds or, if your tastes run to something lighter/more story-gamish, Barbarians of Lemuria or its generic counterpart Everywhen, by Filigree Forge.

EDIT: If you'd prefer a game closer in style and rule structure to D&D, you might like to look at Castles and Crusades by Troll Lord Games, or maybe Low Fantasy Gaming by Pickpocket Press (which has a free version if you'd like to try before you buy).

Last edited:

aramis erak

Legend
Fate is good.

Savage Worlds has a large fanbase, sometimes rabid, and all kinds of fan, first and 3rd party support. Lots of options.

EABA, CORPS, GURPS, Hero, and Genesys all are solid generic engines.
WEG d6 Fantasy, now published by Nocturnal, is a solid and simple system.

ppaladin123

Adventurer
Chiming in to recommend Savage Worlds as flexible and easy to learn. And there are several fantasy settings built with it so you can get an idea how they used the building blocks to make races, magic, etc.

Remove ads