Can you point me anything?

Nifelhein

First Post
Guys!
and GIRLS!

I am finally with some spare money in my pocket and am going to make some huge purchase in books next week, problem is that I am still unable to decide what to get, since there are maaany options out there and I am not able to get a look at books.

I am mostly restricted to Amazon and, in this case, Fatasy Flight games webpage, I am DMing a Midnight campaign and want books that may improve it, i am going to make my setting books collection complete, by the way, getting Sorcery & Shadow, Fury of Shadow and City of Shadow at once.

Unearthed Arcana from WotC is another, since it is 60% off at amazon too. Then I have Tome of Horrors vol II, which I will get anyway, and here comes the problems. I would love to get my hands on some more monster books but I am completely lost there, I have WotC monster books only, with Minions of Shadow.

I have thought of the following as sure buys:

Sorcery & Shadow
City of Shadow
Fury of Shadow
Unearthed Arcana
Tome of Horrors vol II

I can get another 3 books, if all comes well on my side, although I may take only two more instead. I am open for supplements and all, but prefer printed instead of pdf.

haiiro

First Post
Two caveats: I've never read any Midnight stuff, though I know the premise; and I didn't check Amazon to see if these were on there. ;) That said, for monster books:

- The Legacy of the Dragons, for Monte's AU, is fabulous -- not a heap of creatures, but great details about each of them, and some really original concepts.

- The Penumbra Fantasy Bestiary (from Atlas Games) is one of my favorite monster books, as it offers a wealth of info about each creature beyond just its statblock and picture (and it's HUGE).

- FFG's Monster's Handbook, which is not a compendium of beasties, but rather a book about how to make the monsters in your campaign unique (broken down by type). Each section has general info, plus new templates, PrCs, etc. for that type -- very useful book.

If you don't already have WotC's Fiend Folio (though it sounds like you do), that's easily my favorite WotC monster book apart from the MM.

Hope this helps! :)

Nifelhein

First Post
Haiiro and diaglo,

thanks for the reply and insight. I already own Fiend Folio and will be looking forward to MMIII indeed, what i wanted was some more monster books, specially because I like to surprise players with new and unknown creatures.

My only problem with FFG's Monster Handbook is that it is still matched toward 3.0 an I am a little worrid that i might buy and then hear word of a 3.5 release... other than that I have been hearing only praises for it (if you forget the fact of a chapter not being there and only in the website as xpansion).

On the Legacy of dragons and Penumbra's fantasy bestiary, they are indeed on Amazon and I am going to look after them. I regret a lot not owning Tome of Horrors I now and so I want to never feel the same again.

My current decisions for buying, which will cost a damn lot with the shipments is:

Midnight: Fury of Shadow
Midnight: City of Shadow
Midnight: Sorcery and Shadow

Unearthed Arcana
Tome of Horrors II

Legacy of Dragons
Wildscape

I believe that two monster books at once is good as a start and next time I am already queueing Penumbra's Fantasy Bestiary along with MMIII and Frostburn... I plan on at least 1 more book by then, possibly around Christmas time.

Thanks for the scoop,

Nif.

haiiro

First Post
Nifelhein said:
Wildscape

If you like Wildscape, consider checking out Wilds, from AEG.

They treat the same subject (wilderness adventures) in different ways, and as far as I can tell there's not much overlap between them. As much as I like some of FFG's L&L books, I went with Wilds over Wildscape, because the ideas jumped out at me more -- skimming it really made me want to run through some areas that hadn't held much interest before, like swamplands (my favorite section).

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Tome of Horror 2 gets my vote, along with Book of Fiends. (Hey if you love fiends, this is SO the book for you! 3.5 too!)

Creature Collection Revised is nice along with CC 3.

Uhm Legacy is a good bet, but I'd also go with Beyond Countless Doorways as another option.

If you're set for getting Midnight, can't go wrong with what you've decided on.

Skip Unearthered Arcana. Get AU instead. But that's just me.

In fact DON'T buy ANY WotC products unless it's Liber Mortis. Otherwise buy as much d20 stuff as humanly possible! :)

Nifelhein

First Post
Monsternomicon is out of print too, but it is going to see a 3.5 version sometine next year, it is what has been said, so this one I do not regret not owning... yet. ;)

On the Fiends, I tend to use them a lot kless than undeead, animals, magica beasts and plant, by the way, we have a lot less of this ones right now for the many character levels, considering WotC books, at least.

Creature Catalogue is one possibility too, as much as I will look for AEG's Wild, I have heard of it before.

Thanks guys, and girls!

I would go with Frost & Fur by MonkeyGod Enterprises over Frostburn although the two may wind up complementing each other nicely. I'd also recommend considering these if you don't already own them:

*Torn Asunder: Critical Hits (Bastion Press)
*Portals & Planes (Fantasy Flight Games)
*Complete Book of Eldritch Might (Malhavoc)

JoeGKushner

First Post
BastionPress_Creech said:
I would go with Frost & Fur by MonkeyGod Enterprises over Frostburn although the two may wind up complementing each other nicely. I'd also recommend considering these if you don't already own them:

*Torn Asunder: Critical Hits (Bastion Press)
*Portals & Planes (Fantasy Flight Games)
*Complete Book of Eldritch Might (Malhavoc)

No recommendation for Arms & Armo 3.5 hardcover Steve? I'm a little disappointed.

Remove ads