D&D General Can you run Ravenloft as a one-shot?

Li Shenron

Legend
I have a little more than a month for preparing a one-shot RPG adventure for a new year's eve with friends. We've all played D&D before, but this time the idea is to play something different than classic fantasy. Everything is still open at the moment, and I have a thread where I asked where to find short adventures of any genres to read and choose from.

In the meantime, I also thought that some D&D adventures or setting deviate enough from the classic, and Ravenloft could be in fact suitable to get far enough from the usual orcs and dragons and evil wizards, and be run with more emphasis on gothic mystery and less combat (if at all).

But can the main story somehow be unfold and told in a single evening? Can you turn Ravenloft into a one-shot adventure, starting from getting trapped in it, discovering the plot behind, and trying to flee?

I have a little more than a month for preparing a one-shot RPG adventure for a new year's eve with friends. We've all played D&D before, but this time the idea is to play something different than classic fantasy. Everything is still open at the moment, and I have a thread where I asked where to find short adventures of any genres to read and choose from.

In the meantime, I also thought that some D&D adventures or setting deviate enough from the classic, and Ravenloft could be in fact suitable to get far enough from the usual orcs and dragons and evil wizards, and be run with more emphasis on gothic mystery and less combat (if at all).

But can the main story somehow be unfold and told in a single evening? Can you turn Ravenloft into a one-shot adventure, starting from getting trapped in it, discovering the plot behind, and trying to flee?

Ravenloft was originally pretty much a one-shot module, and the initial setting when the Realm of Terror Boxed set came out was mostly run as 'weekend in hell' where you got drawn in from your standard campaign for a single horror adventure or short series of adventures. It is pretty in keeping with the foundations of the setting I would say.

We ran pretty long session
Do you have the original Ravenloft module in mind?

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Ireena Kolyana has been kidnapped by Stradh and the PCs must go and save her from the dreaded fiend! (Or she just might save herself)

Random encounters = Stradh turning up to taunt the would be rescuers

Yes, preferably

Initially I thought you just meant a one off adventure, not a single evening of play. It has been a while since I have run the original module but the advice in the How to Run Ravenloft in One Night seems like it would work. It seems like a pretty good one-evening hack of it. And it isn't the longest module in the world, so if people are efficient you could at least do it in 2-3 sessions pretty easily I think (maybe 1 if you are lucky and play a good length of time). One session is a bit tough though, and I might plan for at least two if I can (its also one of those modules that you probably want to run them through fully just for the experience if you can).

They aren't classic Ravenloft and many of the adventures in it are railroady, but for one shots, the Book of Crypts (which is 2E not 1E) is pretty solid. Each adventure can easily be done in a single session or two shorter sessions. If you do go down this route, I might also recommend checking out Night of the Walking Dead. I only ran it a few times, and it has been a while, but I feel like it might be manageable in a night (you would have to check and judge for yourself to be sure though).

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ

I'm currently playing through Curse of Strahd... No, I don't think it could be done in a single evening. Even with a long session.

Shiroiken

Legend
The right group and setup could get it done in an 8- 12 hour session. Being pulled into the mists, the card reading, and the goal of facing Strahd should all be part of the introduction. That way the party can get started immediately without too much unnecessary RP. Also, make sure the players know it's a time limited event, which should keep them moving.

Libertad

Hero
Sly Flourish made a blog post on how to run Curse of Strahd as a one-shot, perfect for Halloween games. It condenses the adventure down to the Castle Ravenloft section with some sped-up and altered encounters.

It's not technically a one shot unless you marathon it, but One Night Strahd is also an original adventure meant to be played in about 2 to 3 sessions.

Remove ads