• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Can you tell me more about Traveller? (Forked Thread: Space RPGs?)

Woas

First Post
Hi, over in another thread Metus asked for some advice looking for a space-themed RPG. A bunch of you suggested the game Traveller. I did a very brief cruise through the net for basic info on the game (it has quite a history as far as I can tell!) but was wondering if others could give me more insight to the game.

Stuff like how the mechanics run (I gather its 2d6+Attribute rolls over a target number?). What about the other rules for regular, and space/ship combat? Is it easy to keep the players focus in what seems such a open-sandbox style game? Any other personal anecdotes about the game you have? I understand that Mongoose Publishing just put out an updated version of the game, so if it matters for you answers that is the specific game version I would be picking up.

Thanks again. Based on responses I might have more specific questions.
:)

Shades of Green

First Post
Traveller comes in many editions, and its rules and assumptions vary between them. The following will be most relevant to Classic Traveller (CT) and Mongoose Traveller (MGT), both being relatively popular versions. Mega Traveller (MT) and Marc Miller's Traveller/Traveller 4th Edition (T4) are also similar in many aspects but different in others. There are also Traveller: New Era (TNE) using a variant the Twilight:2000 rules, Traveller D20 (T20), GURPS: Traveller and Traveller Hero; these versions differ in many ways from CT, MT, T4 and MGT.

So let's get into Traveller itself. Traveller (originally published in 1977) was originally designed to be a generic sci-fi ruleset compatible with a wide array of sci-fi settings, especially of the 1960's-1970's interstellar kind. All editions of Traveller come with many world-building rules - random world generation, ship-design systems, and in some cases alien critter ("animal") generation systems and vehicle design systems. It is entirely possible to build your own setting for Traveller and ignore any official setting material - in fact, the original rules has no official setting at all!

However, Traveller has long been associated with the Official Traveller Universe (OTU), an Asimov-style (so I've been told) space-opera affair centered on the Third Imperium. The Imperium is a huge quasi-feudal interstellar state encompassing 11,000 worlds (most of which have either official or unofficial stats!); during th Classical Era - covered by both Classic Traveller and Mongoose Traveller - it was mostly a stable society, despite occasional wars with its surrounding states. Several official alien races also exist, such as the felinoid Aslan, the caninoid Vargr, the reptilian (but with an insect-style society, metamorphoses and biological castes) Droyne, the psionic human Zhodani, the Terran-nationalist Solomani, the militant herbivore K'Kree and the weird, manipulative Hivers. The OTU feels like 1960's-1970's sci-fi and is a bit technologically conservative (very little cybernetics, not many AIs around until TNE, little focus on computers). The Imperium is also anti-psionics, unlike other politics (such s the Zhodani, who are ruled by psions).

The basic Traveller game mechanic is roll 2d6+skill level+modifiers; a roll of 8 or more is a success. Skills usually range between 0 and 3 but could be higher; characteristics (ability scores) usually range from 2-12, with 1 or 13-15 in extreme cases. Classic Traveller has several varieties of this mechanics for different uses, but MegaTraveller and Mongoose Traveller use a coherent "task system" with coherent characteristic (ability) modifiers. Difficulty is also a die modifier in most versions.

Traveller is skill-based. At their heart, characters have six characteristics (Strength, Endurance, Dexterity, Intelligence, Education and Social Standing) and a number of skills. In Classic Traveller, your entire "character sheet" (other than gear, money and ships, of course) could be summarized in a single short paragraph! There is a wide range of skills, from Admin (a social skill used to deal with bureaucracies) through things such as Gun Combat (several skills, depending on which kind of guns you want to use) and Pilot (used for piloting starships) to Medic and Vehicle skills. At its core, Classic Traveller had 27 skills; later versions have more diverse skills.

Character creation is semi-random and based on resolving the character's pre-adventuring career. Traveller characters start the game as experienced adults rather than 18-years-old beginners. Most character development (in the game-mechanics sense) takes place during character generation; during play, most character development is in terms of knowledge, personality, possessions and political power, while acquiring new skills is a very slow process. But that's OK, since you could start the game as a very experienced professional!

Traveller technology mostly has a "hard science" feel to it. Sure, there are anti-gravity vehicles, reactionless drives, psionics and jump (read: FTL) drives, but other for these the technology seems very plausible and even "conservative" (AIs are rare and there is almost no nano-tech to speak of). The majority of ground weapons are slug-throwing guns, with energy weapons typically being heavy support weapons.

Combat is fast, rules-light (yet, in Mongoose Traveller, covering a surprisingly wide range of possibilities for its mere 9 pages) and deadly. Very deadly. While a typical character has a good chance of surviving a gun shot, each shot is very damaging and two or three shots (or even one in some occasions) would kill each character. Combat uses the same basic "2d6+skill+modifiers for 8 or more" mechanic as any other skill roll; things such as range or cover modify that roll. Damage is subtracted directly from the target's physical characteristics; when two are reduced to zero, the character becomes seriously wounded and unconscious; when all three are zeroed the character is killed. Vehicle and ship combat uses hit-location tables (listing things such as weapons, drives, passengers, fuel etc).

McBard

First Post
First, I think it's a good idea of yours to choose Mongoose's version (MGT). I'm one who owns and has played all versions, and I think MGT captures the games original soul while also wisely modernizing it in certain places (e.g. d20-style combat actions). Mongoose also supports its games really well (downloads, ample and fairly frequent new releases). Lastly, MGT so closely reflects the early editions of the game (CT and MT) that you can easilty plunder old material and use it about 90% word for word.

I'm curious about your question as to whether its "open sand-box style" will keep players "focused". I think I know what you mean, but would like a little more information on your part.

In any event, I would guess the element of MGT you and your players will find most radical is its non-level advancement. Skills define entirely a character. In fact, as Shades of Green noted, there's little (or slow) advancement after character generation. Gamers coming from a heavy d20 background might not like this.

On the other hand, if you're burnt out on level-based systems, this could be a positive.

Shades of Green

First Post
More on Traveller.

A basic concept of Traveller is that communications are limited to the speed of travel - there is no "hyperwave" or "subspace", so the fastest way you could communicate is by courier ships, and these at best could cross 6 parsecs (about 19 light-years) in a week-long Jump. Most ships are far slower - a week-long Jump for them cross less parsecs (a parsec is approximately 3.26 light-years). Due to this communication lag, large interstellar governments have to be fairly decentralized - as asking for specific orders would take week, months, or even years. This is a good thing for the game as it means that PCs in a frontier area are on their own, with the major authority figures tucked away a few weeks (at most) of jumps away.

As I've mentioned in my previous post, Traveller has a comprehensive random system for generating worlds. Each world has eight characteristics - Starport (how good the port facilities are), Size (how large/heavy is the world), Atmosphere (what atmosphere it has - some kinds are breathable, others are not), Hydrographics (which percent of the world is covered with water or other fluids), Population (how many people are there), Government (general class of government - e.g. Representative Democracy, Impersonal Bureaucracy, Charismatic Dictatorship and so on), Law Level (how restrictive the world's law enforcement system is, especially in regard to guns) and Tech Level (how advanced is the local technology, ranging from "0" for stone-age to "15" or "16" for sci-fi high-tech). Generating worlds in Classic or Mongoose Traveller is fast once you're experienced with it - I've recently generated a whole subsector (see below) of around 30 worlds in about 2-3 hours.

As an abstraction, Traveller uses 2D space maps (rather than realistic 3D). It isn't very realistic but its very comfortable to work with. The game divides space into hex-grid "subsectors" of 8 parsecs by 10 parsecs (neatly fitting unto an A4 page). Four subsectors are a quadrant; four quadrants (or sixteen subsectors) are a sector; and four sectors are a domain (in the official universe's Imperium, and Archduke rules a domain). Most campaigns could be played in a single subsector or quadrant, or, at most, a sector.

Last edited:

Woas

First Post
Thank you thank you! That was a wonderful summary. :cool:

Seems like a lot of great tools for the GM in the book. When you sit down for an evening to play Traveller, how much book work (random content generating) is present at the table?
I assume any good GM worth their keep would do as much prep work before the game as possible. But lets say during the game, the players decide to Zig while you had planned for a Zag. Does the game grind to a uncomfortable stop as the GM brings out the book, rolls dice and flips through pages and checks random tables? Or is this a relatively painless process? I ask because in the end the motley crew I game with, along with myself enjoy fast, rules-lite games with little 'table' book work (that is, while we are there at the table during the game).

What about character growth in Traveller? Is there any at all? Or are those relatively static? Is it the money, new gadgets and ship gear the replacement incentive?

What I mean with the sand-box style game is that from what I am gathering, Traveller does not seem to have much of an agenda in terms of gameplay. I guess the fact that the rules are set up for a GM to generate an entire plot of a galaxy complete with planets and aliens to explore, there seems a notion that players could get easily 'distracted' unless there was a pretty obvious set goal. But then again, maybe that's Ok to do in a Traveller game.
This of course is coming from someone without any prior knowledge of the game so it may just be self conceived issues I am developing in my head as I imagine my friends and self playing the game.

Thanks again!

Last edited:

Krensky

First Post
Traveler is also the only game I have experience with where it is possible (and often quite likely if you're rolling an older character) to die during character creation. I think the early versions of Twilight 2000 and 2300 AD have this feature as well. In Mongoose's edition, it's an optional rule rather then the default though.

Krensky

First Post
When you sit down for an evening to play Traveller, how much book work (random content generating) is present at the table?
I assume any good GM worth their keep would do as much prep work before the game as possible. But lets say during the game, the players decide to Zig while you had planned for a Zag. Does the game grind to a uncomfortable stop as the GM brings out the book, rolls dice and flips through pages and checks random tables? Or is this a relatively painless process? I ask because in the end the motley crew I game with, along with myself enjoy fast, rules-lite games with little 'table' book work (that is, while we are there at the table during the game).

From my experience (mostly with GURPS Traveler, but it should hold with Mongoose) Play doesn't really grind to a halt as long as you take the time to generate a whole sub-sector or two before you start or use one of the published sectors as your setting. Compared to a lot of sci-fi setting travel in Traveler is slow. The 'affordable' (with large mortgages) ships that your average table can actually crew are all Jump 1 or 2 craft, meaning they can travel one or two hexes in week.

Psion

Adventurer
Traveler is also the only game I have experience with where it is possible (and often quite likely if you're rolling an older character) to die during character creation. I think the early versions of Twilight 2000 and 2300 AD have this feature as well. In Mongoose's edition, it's an optional rule rather then the default though.

There is no version since Classic Traveller for which "death in chargen" is a standard feature. MGT is not exceptional here.

Shades of Green

First Post
Thank you thank you! That was a wonderful summary. :cool:
I'm glad you liked it :)

Seems like a lot of great tools for the GM in the book. When you sit down for an evening to play Traveller, how much book work (random content generating) is present at the table? I assume any good GM worth their keep would do as much prep work before the game as possible. But lets say during the game, the players decide to Zig while you had planned for a Zag. Does the game grind to a uncomfortable stop as the GM brings out the book, rolls dice and flips through pages and checks random tables? Or is this a relatively painless process? I ask because in the end the motley crew I game with, along with myself enjoy fast, rules-lite games with little 'table' book work (that is, while we are there at the table during the game).
The trick is to make efficient use of your prep time to prepare general, multi-use stuff. You'd probably like to try out the various generation systems beforehand to get a hold on them - keep the results, and store them (either electronically or on paper) in a way which would be easy for you to find when needed. That would probably include ships (it takes about 20-30 minutes to make one when you're experienced with the system), worlds, animals, characters (usable as NPCs) and so on.

On the other hand, patrons (i.e. quest-giving NPCs) are quite easy to generate with Mongoose Traveller even on the fly - just put a bookmark at the relevant pages in the book. Another great resource in the Mongoose version is a list of generic useful NPCs with full stats (on pp.84-85) such as thugs, guards, ship crewmembers and so on, ready to use as-is or with improvised modifications.

Another thing you should probably read is Reynard's Seven Sandbox Essentials; while written for D&D, many of his concepts are easily applicable to Traveller.

If you have 35$ to spare, you could buy the Classic Traveller CD-ROM from Far Future Enterprises. Sure, its for Classic Traveller, but that would give you TONS of recycleable material, stealable ideas, maps and so on - that CD has almost all of the Classic Traveller books, adventures, alien modules, supplements and so on in PDF format in it. A real treasure trove.

What about character growth in Traveller? Is there any at all? Or are those relatively static? Is it the money, new gadgets and ship gear the replacement incentive?
Traveller has a very different concept of character advancement than D&D (or similar level systems). You start off as an experienced professional, and most of your in-game achievements and rewards are not in skills or game-mechanics powers but in political power, wealth, discovering the setting's secrets, even empire-building. You COULD train your skills, but it takes time and money - just like in the real world. For more discussions of this subject (on the Mongoose boards) look here, here and here.

What I mean with the sand-box style game is that from what I am gathering, Traveller does not seem to have much of an agenda in terms of gameplay. I guess the fact that the rules are set up for a GM to generate an entire plot of a galaxy complete with planets and aliens to explore, there seems a notion that players could get easily 'distracted' unless there was a pretty obvious set goal. But then again, maybe that's Ok to do in a Traveller game.
First of all, you should probably sit down with your group and talk about what they want to do in Traveller. A lot of campaign directions are very possible - do they want exploration into the unknown? Do they want to play naval officers patrolling the frontier? Do they want to be mercenaries? A noble and his entourage out to see the universe? Traders? Asteroid miners? Space Pirates (ARRRRRRRR! YE MATEY!)? A huge amount of campaign types are possible. Once you know what they want to do in general, you could prepare accordingly: exploration needs a frontier, many worlds, and pre-generated animals (among other things); a naval campaign needs a good ship and political tension between space empire; mercenaries need war-torn worlds and meddlesome off-world interests (and in that case you should consider getting the Mercenary book from mongoose - it has, among other things, a mass-combat system and mercenary adventure generators); a sightseeing noble would need exotic worlds, rival noble houses, and even more exotic dangers; traders need a number of worlds with varied trade characteristics, pirates, and rival merchants; asteroid miners need frontier belts complete with rival companies, belt pirates, and weird alien artifacts; and space pirates need frontier worlds with a lot of grog, many small traders and little naval enforcement.

Thanks again!
You welcome!

Krensky

First Post
There is no version since Classic Traveller for which "death in chargen" is a standard feature. MGT is not exceptional here.

MGT is closest to CT in both tone and mechanics, and I was referring to CT there, but I suppose I was unclear.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads