• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Can you wild shape from a wolf into a wolf just to gain the hp?

nijineko

Explorer
yes, you can expend another wildshape usage previous to the end of the first usage while in animal form to change into an animal. even if it is the same animal type. using wildshape for healing is subpar, but better than nothing in a pinch if you can spare the action it takes to activate wildshape.

if the dm is queasy about it, you can try them on changing into a noticeably different wolf than the first.

Noumenon

First Post
Thanks for answering... (xp not working again) I got a different reply on Reddit that helped me see the other point of view, though. You can look at it like this: Wild Shape lets you change from a human to an animal and back. Not from an animal to an animal and back. You might ask, what happens when you wild shape into a wolf, then a hippo, and your first wild shape expires? Shouldn't you turn back into a human? I'm not sure stacking wild shapes is okay now.

Buugipopuu

First Post
The description of the Warshaper's Multimorph ability suggests that you should be able to do this, since it gives you the ability to do this without spending an extra wild shape attempt. An ability that lets you do something for free generally implies that doing it for its normal cost was possible all along.

nijineko

Explorer
a druid's wildshape is based on the special ability alternate form. there is nothing requiring the creature to revert to a specific shape in order to take another of the allowed forms.

i believe that the term "and back again" is there simply to indicate that they do not permanently become the creature in question, and that they can turn back before the normal duration expires.

however, that is a raw vs rai interpretation. which makes it up to the dm and how they want their world to work.

PureGoldx58

First Post
You should be able to since you are still using your uses of wildshape for the day and actually expending a resource AND a standard action (or move, or swift depending upon feats) to acquire this subpar healing.

Also changing from animal to animal does the healing and I doubt he could argue that, so you can always just turn into another animal if the DM is being stubborn like they love to be.

nijineko

Explorer
i have yet to run into any dm who did it differently, until this thread. and i've been playing for a very long time. but, the wording could be a bit more clear... shoganai, ne?

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
I believe the answer is yes as per the ability, however you'd not really want to.

Maybe to stabilize from dying... Even then there are so many other options for a Druid.

Remove ads