• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Can't Take 10 with...

irdeggman

First Post
Mistwell said:
You can take ten on Disguise and Forgery. Just because the DM makes a roll, if a roll is required, doesn't mean you cannot take ten on it.

Someone else said Knowledge and Spellcraft. For most uses, you can take ten on those as well.

Except of course for counterspelling purposes that is.

roguerouge

First Post
Mistwell said:
You can take ten on Disguise and Forgery. Just because the DM makes a roll, if a roll is required, doesn't mean you cannot take ten on it.

Uhh... I don't find this persuasive, really. Why refer to it as a roll at all then?

Xiam

First Post
roguerouge said:
Uhh... I don't find this persuasive, really. Why refer to it as a roll at all then?
Taking 10 simply simulates an average roll. So, as the SRD states "if you know (or expect) that an average roll will succeed but fear that a poor roll might fail, [...] you elect to settle for the average roll (a 10)." However, in many cases taking 10 might not be enough to perform the task, so a little uncertainty remains.

Taking 10 could be used for every skill. I haver never seen a rule which forbids taking 10 dependent on the skill. The rules say you can choose to take 10 for every skill and every roll - as long as you are not distracted or threatened. Taking 20 is another story.

For example, until the players don't explicitly say that they try to make no noise while moving through the dungeon rooms, the DM could simply use the PC's take 10 scores on move silently to decide whether near monsters hear them coming or not instead of rolling every once and a while for them.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Xiam said:
Taking 10 could be used for every skill. I haver never seen a rule which forbids taking 10 dependent on the skill.

You mean like "Special: You cannot take 10 with this skill" from Use Magic Device?

-Hyp.

Xiam

First Post
Hmm, okay there is one.

Then I think I should add

The rules say you can choose to take 10 for every skill and every roll - as long as you are not distracted or threatened or the skill description says something else.

Remove ads