WOIN Capping Your Dice Pool

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
The capping of a dice pool applies ONLY to the process of forming a pool with an ATTRIBUTE + SKILL + GEAR*. It does not apply to any other type of roll, such as damage, rolling for HEALTH, or anything else which isn’t forming a pool with an ATTRIBUTE + SKILL + GEAR.

Note that this DOES include DEFENCES, as these are calculated by forming a pool with an ATTRIBUTE + SKILL + GEAR.

The process is as follows:
  1. Form your dice pool by forming a pool with an ATTRIBUTE + SKILL + GEAR.
  2. Cap it.
  3. Apply anything else.**

*GEAR (or equipment) refers specifically to the gear quality dice pool contribution (high, exceptional, artisanal, etc.) not to any miscellaneous bonuses mentioned in its description.
**This includes LUC dice, exploits, positional modifiers, aim/feint, complications, miscellaneous bonuses, and anything else which is literally part of the initial forming a pool with an ATTRIBUTE + SKILL + GEAR.

Last edited:

BlckKnght

Explorer
Can you clarify if the GEAR pool you describe is only the dice from the quality level of the gear (High-Quality, Exceptional, Mastercraft, etc...) or if it includes other dice that are specific to the type of item? For instance, camouflaged armor gives a +1d6 to checks to hide in appropriate terrain. Is that extra d6 part of the GEAR bucket and so subject to the cap, or is it in the "anything else" bucket that gets added after the cap?

I'm pretty sure it's not capped (or stuff like the invisibility cloak in NEW would be mostly useless), but it would be good to confirm that. Perhaps the GEAR bucket should be renamed "GEAR QUALITY" to be more specific.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Can you clarify if the GEAR pool you describe is only the dice from the quality level of the gear (High-Quality, Exceptional, Mastercraft, etc...) or if it includes other dice that are specific to the type of item? For instance, camouflaged armor gives a +1d6 to checks to hide in appropriate terrain. Is that extra d6 part of the GEAR bucket and so subject to the cap, or is it in the "anything else" bucket that gets added after the cap?

I'm pretty sure it's not capped (or stuff like the invisibility cloak in NEW would be mostly useless), but it would be good to confirm that. Perhaps the GEAR bucket should be renamed "GEAR QUALITY" to be more specific.
Yes, quality. The pool is literally the basic dice pool you include from an attribute + equipment + gear. Everything else, such as misc bonuses, is applied after capping.

BlckKnght

Explorer
Right, my point is about the terminology. If you say that "gear" dice go into the basic pool, that makes it seem like all bonus dice from gear might be included. That's why I'd suggest you emphasize "gear quality" instead of just "gear". Normal gear don't give dice of either sort, so for a new player there's not much to learn from.

Denari82

Villager
Thanks for this post. Does the Gearmaster option in cinematic mode still override the gear quality exception?

Advertisement