• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Capturing problem

Stormonu

Legend
As above, and other ideas:

• A slightly altered Banish spell (sends to the Shadowfell, instead of a pocket dimension)
  • A companion creature allied with the Shadar-Kai that's good at grappling or has a special grapple/swallow move

As others have pointed out, I'd avoid a railroad capture - nothing wrong with giving the bad guys the advantage in the situation, but I'd be mad as a player if I felt there had been no way to avoid being hauled off to the Shadowfell, especially if I felt I might have been able to prevent it with a spell or ability I might have.

Bacon n eggs

Villager
-Sleep poison as pointed out.
-Hold Person, Stunning Fist, and similar incapacitating/paralysis-causing effects
-Bigby's Hand is surprisingly good for grappling, as it has advantage on checks against Medium or smaller creatures. It has +8 on the grapple check with that advantage, or it can shove a target up to a distance of 5+(5*spellcasting ability modifier), so potentially a 30' shove to magic-hand-palmheel someone through an arch.
Thanks for the ideas, that poison and bigbys hand will really do the trick. Them at disadvantage, me with advantage, it should work. Let's hope lol

Bacon n eggs

Villager
As above, and other ideas:

• A slightly altered Banish spell (sends to the Shadowfell, instead of a pocket dimension)
  • A companion creature allied with the Shadar-Kai that's good at grappling or has a special grapple/swallow move

As others have pointed out, I'd avoid a railroad capture - nothing wrong with giving the bad guys the advantage in the situation, but I'd be mad as a player if I felt there had been no way to avoid being hauled off to the Shadowfell, especially if I felt I might have been able to prevent it with a spell or ability I might have.
As long as their is a role, or some way, some possibility, of a role to get out I think it will be ok. I will not fudge the roles, but if the player is fairly poisoned (having disadvantage on ability checks) and fairly fails his str role vs mine which I will have a +8 I think, then there should be less harsh feelings, but I want the feelings to be genuine whether they succeed or fail.

Remove ads