WOIN Career prerequisite questions

dekrass

Explorer
In looking into some character options I noticed that the prerequisites for some careers differ between O.L.D. and the Rules Reference Document, notably druid, ice mage, firemage, and illusionist. I'm guessing the book is right, is that a correct assumption?

If the book is right, what would the secret of nature entail? It only seems to be mentioned once in the book, in the druid prerequisites. Is that basically same as life as an element, or more broad maybe?

easl

Explorer
I've been thinking of it as an "element" that overlaps with the classic elements (air, fire, etc..). So Earth might affect all earth, while Nature can affect earth...that is 'unsullied' by human or other intelligent works. Fire can be used on all fires, while nature can be used on a naturally occurring forest fire, but not the fire in your fireplace. It can affect some iron ore in the ground, but not someone's sword. And so on.
That's just my thought. I haven't had any play experience with it. My bigger questions are for the Shaman's "Spirit" secret. Can a shaman use 'summon spirit' to get a fire elemental? If you use transform spirit on a door, what do you get? A big hole? Ectoplasm?

dekrass

Explorer
That's an interesting way to look at it. Nature could include most of the elements in the common secrets table though. Limiting it to just unworked versions could be useful. Evoke nature might still be a too broad if you can sling fire, lightning, cold, bludgeoning, slashing, and piercing damage with one secret. Maybe limiting that to the four classic elements fixes that. Things like create, transform, and abjure would be reigned in quite well with the limitation of unworked elements only.

Since spirit is a creature type I guess it could summon anything with that type. So you get spirits of the dead and spirits of nature (like elementals). I think with transform you turn things into a type of spirit of your choice. Just like turning a prince into a frog, you could turn a frog into an oread. Using it on a door would require the animate enhancement, since it becomes a creature.

easl

Explorer
I was thinking 'transform spirit' as similar to 'transform water.' You do it to the door, door goes splash, you walk through. Door then reforms as wood on the ground. Now apply it to spirit. You do it to the door, and the door...does what? Becomes immaterial? Disappears? Becomes transparent goo?

dekrass

Explorer
The secrets are open to interpretation. Transform spirit could do any of those things if the player and GM agree.
My interpretation is that spirit is a creature type and not an element. So transform spirit on a door makes the door turn into a sylph, or a ghost, or something. It can make the door the ghost of a human. I would use transform void to make it immaterial and transform ooze to make it transparent goo.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
That's just my thought. I haven't had any play experience with it. My bigger questions are for the Shaman's "Spirit" secret. Can a shaman use 'summon spirit' to get a fire elemental?

You can use the secret of spirit on any creature with "spirit" as one of its types. That includes elementals.

If you use transform spirit on a door, what do you get? A big hole? Ectoplasm?

A ghost door? I'd leave that one up to the GM!

MacD

Just a tourist passing your way...
The book is correct.

Secret of nature on the other hand, should read "a secret of nature" -- either plants or beasts. It's not super clear, I agree.

Do I get that right - I need secret of beasts or plants to get acess to the druid career that offers an exploit that contains both the beasts AND plants secret? Feels strange.

Remove ads