Career/Tradition question

dekrass

Explorer
When you increase a rank in an existing career do you apply the age adjustment as you do for a new career? If so "leveling up" mid-adventure will be impossible. That's not necessarily bad, but it strongly influences adventure design.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
When you increase a rank in an existing career do you apply the age adjustment as you do for a new career? If so "leveling up" mid-adventure will be impossible. That's not necessarily bad, but it strongly influences adventure design.

Nope. Just at character generation.

Tigerlil

First Post
Then again, if your campaign supports it you COULD use the years.

I got inspired for my next space opera campaign by the kickstarter video and is going to use the following rules:

XP can be used for all the normal uses (skills, atributes etc) except for gaining careers.
Players gain a "free" career step after every adventure path, and then we jump forward 1-6 years.

This way I can start them out as ensigns on a single starship, and hopefully end the campaign with them being admirals/presidents/millionaires/retired drunks/whatever, thus experience a lifetime. I guess it's a bit Pendragon or traveler like in that sense, but I like the basic core system of NEW better :)

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
XP can be used for all the normal uses (skills, atributes etc) except for gaining careers.
Players gain a "free" career step after every adventure path, and then we jump forward 1-6 years.

:)

That is definitely one of the default campaign models, and one ripe for exploration.

Remove ads