• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Carnival Ideas - help? Need to string this together

Angelsboi

First Post
This is for Ravenloft mainly but any spooky ideas will help.

Ok a carnival is rolling into a hamlet in Richmeulot thats surrounded by dark woods that an old vistani woman lives in. Also, the population is about 350.

I have an idea for a Fear Daemon (mist creature) that feeds on the fears of children. They dissappear and the adults' memories seem to be wiped away about their children.

The PCs are 1st level commoners and quite resourceful so far.

Besides the Fear Daemon and the 3rd level Illusionist Mage running the show, what else should i include?

Last edited:

Crothian

First Post
d20Dwarf said:
I really need to get my Halloween adventure converted over to 3e. It has a carnival the players will never forget. :)

Well, by my count you have one month. Get it converted I'll see if I can run it as a one shot and post a story hour for all to enjoy. :D

d20Dwarf

Explorer
I'm way too busy to get it done for this year's Halloween, but by next year you might just be seeing it. :) It is pretty funky, though, so get ready for some really weird experiences. For once I've deviated from my bland and formulaic design style. :)

Crothian

First Post
d20Dwarf said:
I'm way too busy to get it done for this year's Halloween, but by next year you might just be seeing it. :) It is pretty funky, though, so get ready for some really weird experiences. For once I've deviated from my bland and formulaic design style. :)

Okay, I'll run Halloween 2003, my caledars marked. :)

Silverthrone

Banned
Banned
Was this perhaps inspired by the old canival adventure module for Ravenloft? I believe the name was Carnival of Shadows. I could be wrong.

If not, that old booklet may be a good guide for your idea.

Moon_Goddess

Have I really been on this site for over 20 years!
I believe if I remember correctly the carnival module was just named Carnival.

I really recomend it if you want a carnival in ravenloft. Very interesting senerio. I don't even like ravenloft but I've read this module many many times, I love the idea of a powerful force of Good running around ravenloft.

Simplicity

Explorer
I agree. The ravenloft carnival book was really cool.
I would have bought it if I could ever get anybody to
play in Ravenloft... Nowadays it's:

DM: "A mist rolls in to surround you... You begin to feel lost."

Player: (Rolls a few times) "Dang... I guess my new character isn't going to have any 18's..."

Happiest_Sadist

First Post
Don't forget that any local evil guys might want to blame the carnival for their own misdeads. Say a local merchant's son is stealing children for some foul purposes. He grabs them by the carnival. Then he slips their personal possessions into the wagon of a stage magician, or hides them in bales of goods that his father sells to the gypsies. Thus avoiding a thourough investigation that would surround the disapearences any other time.

boothbey

First Post
Eeeeevil Carnival...

First off, I suggest you reading (or watching the movie) Something Wicked this way Comes. You should come out of that with enough ideas to fill your adventure to the brim.

As far as specific additions...trying to think of something that isn't in the above book is tougher than I thought. Could do a lot with carnival games...especially if the fate of the player or a player's friend hangs in the balance.

Fortune tellers are always good, especially with a Vistani present.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads