carpedavid's Land of the Crane (Updated 11 May, 2006)

carpedavid

First Post
Fimmtiu said:
Yay! Welcome back, and congratulations on getting hitched.

Thanks, and thanks again, Fimmtiu!

We highly recommend the "elopment" method, for any readers out there who may be contemplating marriage. The total elapsed time from the decision to get married that day to the end of the ceremony was about three hours :).

Eeralai

First Post
Congratulations! Both on getting married, and on getting your setting sent off to Green Ronin. Oh yeah, thanks for the update too. :D

*laugh* Oops, my wife wsa still logged in. This is BardstephenFox. But Eeralai wishes you well also.

carpedavid

First Post
Ok, to summarize the activity that was lost in the Great Database Crash of May 2006:

Land of the Crane was fully developed for the True20 system, and will be published by Green Ronin in the True20 Worlds of Adventure book this summer.

As a result of converting to a new system and of the maturation of the setting, some of the terms have changed from what you're familiar with here. The spirit of the setting remains intact, so I'm not going to go back through and edit the previous posts. Instead, I'm going to use the new terms going forward. Here's a handy dandy translation guide in the form [Old Term] = [New Term].

Tanayari = Tsurukoku
Tanayari is a created name that was a throwback to my old homebrew campaign. It predates the "Land of the Crane" concept, so, when the setting was finished, it deserved a name of its very own. Tsurukoku literally translated means "Land of the Crane."

Shaman = Shinkan
Since we're not in OA anymore, use of the term "shaman" doesn't really make sense. Shinkan is the term for a shinto priest, and here it's used to refer to Fenist priests (Fenism being the fantasy analogue of shinto).

Mahou = Kido
Mahou is OA's blood magic. Kido means "oni magic," and reflects empowering your supernatural abilities with the tainted energies of Yomi. It fills the same role as Mahou (tainted magic), but is a different mechanic and in-game concept entierly.

Those are the big changes in termanology that you'll see. If you notice any others, don't hesitate to ask for clarification.

carpedavid

First Post
Well, I'm fully caught up with where I left off the last version of the Story Hour, so updates will inevitably come more slowly. Also, bear with me as I try to regain my writing skills. It's been a while.

Valley of the Spiders, Part 2

The sound of Yagi's hooves echoed like thunder though the canyon.

Fukasu looked down and saw, to her horror, that a dozen spiders, ranging from the size of a large dog to a large horse, were climbing the sides of the chasm. "They're coming!" she screamed to her companions, "Hurry!"

Kakeru focused on the other side of the bridge, and urged Yagi on, but he knew that they couldn't go any faster without the risking the cart sliding off the bridge. "Get ready," he yelled to his passengers, as the spiders reached the top of the chasm.

Just before they reached the end of the bridge, Kakeru pulled hard on Yagi's reins, and the cart skidded to a halt.

When Tsurukokan peasants huddle together in their bamboo huts, trying to keep themselves dry during any of the hundreds of rainstorms that wash over the Land of the Crane each year, their thoughts invariably turn to Lord Inazuma and Lady Raimei – the spirits of Thunder and Lightning.

Though they collectively rule the skies from their floating sanctuary in Castle Raiden, Inazuma and Raimei's marriage is anything but tranquil. Both are possessed of a fiery temper and a fierce disposition, so any discussion ultimately devolves into a furious argument. Their arguments always begin quietly, with a quiet rumble and a brief flash of light. As their tempers rise, the sky explodes with bolts of lightning and great cracks of thunder.

Raimei's sonic fury shakes the air while her husband's anger scorches the earth, while, in their huts, the peasants of Tsurukoku quake and tremble. Silently, they pray for the two great spirits to resolve their differences, and to spare them from the effects of their anger.

Eventually, the spirits of Thunder and Lightning calm themselves and make peace once again. The bolts of lightning become bright flashes of light, which flicker and dim, and then fade altogether. The cacophony of thunder subsides, quieting to a dull rumble before subsiding altogether.

In the clam rain that follows, the peasants relax and thank the spirits for sparing them. Some may offer a bit of sake, while others offer a bowl of rice, in the hope that the next time the two lovers quarrel, they keep it to themselves.

Like the spirits of Thunder and Lightning, the swarm of monstrous spiders and the group of heroes collided with a sound and fury that shook the earth and rattled the soul. Kyoji, Takashi, and Musashi leapt out onto the bridge, while Fukasu swooped down from above.

One of the spiders jumped onto Yagi, who reared up and swatted at it with his tail. Kakeru grabbed onto his horse's reins in an attempt to keep him from charging off the bridge. As a result, he was completely defenseless when two others jumped up to attack him. "Ancestors, protect us from...aauugh!" he screamed as both spiders pumped their poison into his veins.

Fukasu and Takashi pounded on one of the smaller arachnids. It bit the young hanyo, who suppressed a shriek, and then retaliated with the point of her blade. Takashi followed up with a kick, cracking open the creature's carapace as it tumbled back off the bridge.

Meanwhile, Kyoji and Musashi had their hands full with spiders of their own. The straw-haired monk and one of the smaller spiders traded wounds. He smashed his first into its mandibles, and the spider slashed open his arm with its fangs.

One of the horse-sized spiders lunged at Musashi, who dodged its attack, and then sliced into it with his katana. It clicked its mandibles angrily, and then lunged again.

Back in the cart, Kakeru flailed his left fist at the two spiders surrounding him, and held on tightly to Yagi's reins with his right. The spiders easily avoided his blows, and darted in and out as they scuttled around him, biting and tearing out chunks of his flesh. He grunted as Yagi strained at the reins, himself trying to shake off a spider.

Kyoji cried out as one of the horse-sized spiders pierced his shoulder with its fangs. "Hang on Kyoji-san!" Fukasu yelled as she vaulted several of the smaller spiders to aid her friend. Jamming her ninja-to into its abdomen provided enough distraction that the spider let go of the monk, and turned its attention toward her.

Blades and fists and fangs flew furiously in the morning sun. As several of the smaller spiders swarmed over Kakeru and Musashi, Fukasu and Kyoji finished off the giant spider between them. Takashi summoned all of the fury of Lord Inazuma and Lady Reimei, and was able to pound another of the giant spiders into a mess of chitin and spider guts.

Kakeru tried to keep Yagi in check, even as his vision began to narrow. Musashi felt himself growing terribly weak, between the effects of the spider venom and the loss of his own blood. I must remain strong, he thought to himself, I must not give in.

The sounds of carapaces cracking and heroes yelping echoed off the cavern walls as the party and the spiders slowly whittled each other down. With the biggest, and most dangerous of the spiders out of the way, the party raced against the poison in their veins.

Fukasu began distracting some of the smaller creatures, which gave Musashi the opportunity to make calculated, powerful strikes. Takashi and Kyoji punched and kicked at the spiders still biting into Kakeru, finally succeeding in freeing their friend from the embrace of the arachnids.

As the last of their strength faded, the party was left with one opponent: a particularly tenacious spider the size of a large dog. It had sunk its fangs into nearly every one of the heroes more than once, and half a dozen times into Kakeru. Fukasu attempted to distract it, while Takashi threw a heel kick. His blow was slowed by the poison, though, and he missed wildly, nearly falling off the stone bridge in the process.

Kyoji followed up with a low roundhouse kick of his own, which the spider dodged easily. Fortunately for Musashi, and unfortunately for the spider, it dodged right into the path of his katana. "Die!" he yelled as he slammed his blade into the arachnid's abdomen. The spider paused for a second, clicked its mandibles, and then slid neatly in half.

"Ho. Lee. Crap." Takashi said between gulps of air, as he stumbled over to the side of the canyon.

"I. Hate. Spiders." Musashi panted as he sheathed his katana, "They. Have. No. Honor."

"Wow. I can't believe we didn't die," Fukasu replied as she dropped to her knees.

"Close. We got very close," Kyoji said as he leaned on the cart, trying not to fall over.

"Very. Close. Indeed," Kakeru gasped, and then promptly collapsed.

carpedavid

First Post
I think I'm on a biweekly updating basis now, though this one's going to be on the shorter side.

Valley of the Spiders, Part 3

"Kakeru!" Fukasu yelled as she jumped back to her feet and climbed into the cart. She quickly checked for a pulse, and finding one, breathed a sigh of relief. "He's alive, but barely. We need to take shelter."

"There's a large outcropping up ahead," Musashi said as he pointed toward two stone pillars about a hundred yards farther into the valley, where it took a sharp turn to the west.

"We'll check it out," Kyoji said as he motioned to Takashi. The two monks began to scout ahead as Fukasu ripped strips from her kimono to bind her cousin's wounds. I'm going to be naked by the time we get to the fire crane, at this rate, Fukasu thought to herself. She giggled, and Musashi looked up with a start.

Fukasu smiled wanly, "I'm going to need a new robe soon."

The young samurai nodded, then, after a minute, "Is he stable?"

The young ninja tightened the last bandage and then sighed, "He should be ok, though he's not going to be very happy when he wakes up."

Musashi grabbed Yagi's reins, and slowly led them down the valley to where the two monks were waiting. As they creaked along, he remained vigilant. It would be like those dishonorable vermin to take advantage of us while our forces are split.

Just before they passed behind the outcroppings, Musashi looked left and caught a glimpse of the obstacles that still remained in their path. This is not going to get any easier.

A few minutes after midnight, Kakeru awoke with a start. "Wha! Spiders!" he yelled as he sat bolt upright. "Is this Yomi?" he asked, panicked.

"It might as well be," Takashi mumbled as he rolled over, trying to get comfortable on the rocky ground.

"Ugh. I obviously need more sake," Kakeru groaned as he lay back down.

"No, you need rest," Fukasu said as she adjusted his blanket.

"Okay, Fu-chan," he said grudgingly.

"Rest well, Kakeru-kun," Musashi whispered, "For we will need your strength tomorrow."

"Tomorrow might be a bit early," Kakeru groaned.

"Well, soon, then," the young samurai replied.

The next day, Kakeru spent most of his time summoning the benevolent spirits of the earth to heal himself and his companions. Musashi kept watch while the two monks sparred and Fukasu fussed over her cousin.

"You're not well, lay down," Fukasu said.

"I'm fine," Kakeru replied weakly.

"No, you're not."

"Okay, I'm not, but I'm still not lying down."

"Kakeru-kun!"

"Okay, fine."

That night, the five heroes rested, preparing themselves for the challenge that lay ahead. As Musashi lay on the hard stone of the valley floor, he envisioned slicing through his enemy, rending limb from body, finding the joints in their exoskeletons, cleaving through their carapaces. He shivered. I'm nervous, he thought, that is unacceptable. He tried to suppress the butterflies in his stomach by clearing his mind and focusing on the task at hand, but after a minute he smiled to himself in the darkness. No, not nervous. Not nervous at all.

Excited.

As the sun rose on the 23rd day of Shigatsu, year 337 of the Ito shogunate, the party prepared themselves for the upcoming fight. Kakeru snuck a glimpse of what awaited them and groaned.

"Ok, Takashi-san," the young shinkan said as he tried to figure out what spirits to call, "since we got the worst of it last time, I'm going to ask the spirits for their aid." He projected his will into the ethereal realm where spirits dwell, and called out for the poison-eaters.

Sightless, possessed only of a pair of antennae and very long tongue, and resembling something close to a bright-yellow, foot-long slug, a pair of poison-eaters slithered through the mists toward the group. When they reached the shinkan and the monk, the supernatural gastropods began to climb up their legs toward their abdomens.

Kakeru had never seen the poison-eaters do what they were about to do, but he had read about it in the sacred scrolls, and he was very glad that Takashi would not be able to sense what was happening. When the poison-eaters reached their abdomens, they paused for a second, and then quickly jammed their long tongues into Kakeru and Takashi's navels. Within a second, they had squished themselves through the hole that they had created inside the mortals' spirit bodies.

The young shinkan shook his head. Takashi looked at him quizzically, but Kakeru just smiled and continued to shake his head.

Musashi drew his katana and wakizashi and looked at his companions. "Ready?"

"Let's do it," Takashi replied.

The five heroes from Kurosawa stepped out from behind the giant stone outcropping and began cautiously moving deeper into the valley. The long shadows cast by the morning sun fell over colossal nets of webbing which stretched a hundred feet from one wall of the valley to the other. Thousands of birds and bats flapped and squawked and screeched, having been caught in the nets, and the movement and sound had attracted monstrous spiders by the dozen.

Last edited:

Serenity

First Post
carpedavid said:
"An assault upon these lands is an assault upon Lord Kurosawa himself!" Musashi cried.

"More importantly, an assault upon these lands is an assault upon the sake!" said Kakeru, aghast.

"Yes, I'm afraid so, on both accounts," the old man replied.

Musashi looked askance at Kakeru, and then asked, "Do you have any idea what kind of dishonorable dogs would do something like this?"

"Yes," Kakeru continued, "Who would try to harm the sake?"
[/list]

I just found this story hour and had to tell you that when reading through Takayama & Tsumago, Part 1 I laughed aloud when reading the preceding quotes. I could just 'see' pudgy Kakeru's horror at the thought of an attack upon his beloved sake. Which I guess makes sense considering his entire life revolves around 'spirits' (of one kind or another).
I am truly enjoying this story hour. I will post again when I catch up or something else makes me laugh out loud.
Thanks for the entertainment!

carpedavid

First Post
Heh. Thanks, Serenity. I try to include the funny bits along with the serious bits, and both Kakeru's player and Takashi's player are pretty skilled in delivering well-timed quips.

Should be an update this week!

Remove ads