Cast a Personal Spell on another Creature?

phindar

First Post
Arravis said:
I've always been curious about doing this via Magic Jar as well... especially on a physical based spell. Does the spell follow the body or spirit?
That's a little... murky, although I haven't really rigorously researched the issue. (I haven't found anything in the books, but I haven't looked through the FAQs.)

I recently ran a game with a NPC dread necromancer and his intelligent undead servants, where the DN was Magic Jarring around the battlefield. (In the phylactery you can only sense life and unlife force, and his undead servants were sufficiently differentiated by Hit Dice that he pretty much knew where he was going.) I ruled that spells stayed with the body, mainly because I thought it was more unbalancing to have a fully-buffed spirit making the body it jumps into fully buffed rather than jumping into a body, buffing it, and then moving on to the next one.

In terms of balance it's probably a wash, but I settled on what I felt was the most equitable ruling so as to be consistent if next week a player said, "That was awesome. I'm going to play a Dread Necromancer with Magic Jar."

Remove ads