• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Casting While Prone

gravyboat

Explorer
What are the rules for when a wizard (or other type of caster) needs to cast a spell with a somatic component while simply in the prone state? Book references appreciated.

Last edited:

There are none. You cast normally.

SRD
Prone: The character is on the ground. An attacker who is prone has a –4 penalty on melee attack rolls and cannot use a ranged weapon (except for a crossbow). A defender who is prone gains a +4 bonus to Armor Class against ranged attacks, but takes a –4 penalty to AC against melee attacks.

Standing up is a move-equivalent action that provokes an attack of opportunity.

Last edited:

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Darklone said:
No rules. DM might apply some circumstance modifier...

... to what? :)

It's probably not what you're asking, but bear in mind that if the spell involves a melee attack (Shocking Grasp, say), you'll be at -4 on the attack roll.

-Hyp.

Len

Prodigal Member
Hypersmurf said:
... to what? :)
Maybe an easy Concentration check because it's kind of hard to do the funky chicken* properly when you're lying on the ground? I don't think it's really worth making a house rule for, though.

* Players, learn which spells have somatic components so you can always make fun of the wizard's ridiculous contortions.

Cabled

First Post
Consider also it's probably much easier to get your line of sight blocked laying down on the ground. All that waist high stuff you normally look right over like bushes, hay bales and halflings are suddenly in your way.

buchw001

First Post
What if the spell caster in question has an enemy that can take an AoO for casting the spell?
In this case I think the spell casters AC is simply decreased by 4

Assuming the spell is cast defensively while prone, would the concentration check then be increased?
In this case I might increase the DC by 4

Opinions?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads