"Casual" RPGs

Any game for no-prep casual play has to have very short rules (1-4 pages), and hybrid roleplaying/card games are great for this by providing rules, prompts and play structure on cards.

Like Fiasco:

Or For The Queen:

And in an act of pure self-promotion I'll drop in my micro-RPGs on itch. They're both very short, have very few mechanics, and require no prep.

aramis erak

Legend
One thing I have noticed in some RPG communities -- particularly those with a high population of new players -- is a desire for more "casual" RPGs. This usually means minimal prep, easy to comprehend and without a huge time commitment (either for a given session or over a long period). What comes to my mind is: try this cool board game! But obviously that is dismissive and doesn't answer the need for those people.

So I was wondering what game folks might label as "casual" with that definition in mind, and how you would go about engaging with a "casual" RPG.
When it comes to running it off the cuff, with a GM who knows the rules and players who don't, here's my list of such games:
  • TSR Advanced Marvel Super Heroes
  • GW Judge Dredd
  • 9th Level's Kobolds Ate My Baby
  • Any of the FFG Beginner Boxes
  • Atlas Games' Feng Shui 2
  • Cosmic Patrol- but only if the group doesn't include my wife.. (she dislikes it)
  • Tunnels and Trolls any edition.
  • River Horse's MLP: Tails of Equestria
  • 9th Level's Ninja Burger
  • Og: Unearthed
  • WEG Star Wars d6
  • WEG D6 Adventure, D6 Space, or D6 Fantasy
For GM Unfamiliar, I honestly don't know any I'd consider doable.

Remove ads