Cataloguing Flora

Elgryn

First Post
I'm hoping this is the right forum for this.

Occasionally I get fixated on researching and gathering information on a certain topics, and my recent fixation was D&D flora; Herbs, Fungi, Trees, you name it- anything that was a nonfictional plant or had specific stats. I burnt myself out a few weeks back on it, but I thought I share my current progress with you in case anyone had any suggestions or additions.

Catalogue of D&D Flora (Google document, Comments enabled).

I've currently included Basic, 1E, 2E, 3.0/3.5, and 4E. I would have included 5E but that edition doesn't seem to have much yet (4e barely had any as well).
Notes:
  • Basic is mostly mutated flora from Metamorphosis Alpha.
  • I'm still debating on the inclusion of some of the more ambiguous plant/creatures (Thorn slingers, giant sundews and the like) as they feel more like creatures than flora to me.
  • The 3.0/3.5 section is mostly Jowgen and Dirigibee's work and credit goes to them and the posters in that thread for finding them.
  • I've included Dragon Magazines, Dungeon Magazines and official publications. I haven't had much opportunity to browse other sources like White Dwarf and the like.

Mostly this was to aid in campaigns that wish to use flora for crafting or flavour. It was really interesting watching the progression of style and focus in the different editions. 1E was almost all nonfictional flora and then 2E's ecologies really started to flesh out fantastical plants.

I think my favourite take away from it all is 1E's note that Juniper berries are essentially elf aphrodisiacs.

Any feedback on layout, information, descriptions, corrections, additions, and so on are more than welcome. (Or eve if people want to move the content to a more accessible format and platform.) My flora fixation is beginning to ebb, but I'll likely move onto other 'craft' materials, like metals, gemstones and so on.

Remove ads