Cauldron Born Questions

gideonpepys

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
These might be very stupid questions, but I'm confused about a couple of things in Cauldron Born:

During the Ekossigan thread, there is a huge amount of material about the goings on in the Cloudwood. Several pages in we get to the episode where Unit B and Brakken witness an angry mob (which, it is suggested, should take place on the 11th - perhaps as early as the 9th but no sooner). But I am slightly at a loss as to why the players - Unit A, that is - would be in the Cloudwood investigating these matters prior to Unit B's discovery, and if they do happen along there (having arranged to meet Gale) and are already involved in chasing down gremlins, etc, what Unit B's involvement adds to this thread. In other words, shouldn't the Unit B episode happen earlier or not at all? And if Asrabey's request to meet Gale is intended to lead them there first, why does that not begin the whole thread? My confusion stems from the fact that the whole thread begins with 'Casing the Cloudwood' and I feel like I must have missed something, because I don't know why the players would choose to do that given how much they have on their plates, unless either Gale or Unit B have drawn them there.

My next question concerns the eschatologist cult. When the players investigate Soknik's repairs, they find evidence that would enable them to head off both the next two sections of the adventure: the Malice Beast section (by intercepting the ship) and the Train Hijack. Or at least, I'm assuming they can stop the hijack (by flooding the station and subrail system with officers, for example). It doesn't say as much in the adventure, but they have the date and time of the operation, and I would have thought enough manpower to prevent it. What I'm wondering is (a) why the adventure doesn't detail how the players can go about stopping the hijack, and how the terrorists respond if they do; and (b) why I as a DM would want the players to stop either or both of these exciting events, as they will be fun, while stopping them would not. It's not as if the players had to work to find the evidence at Soknik's Repairs! It is pretty much handed to them on a plate.

I'm not getting a great deal of sleep this days, which may account for my confusion, and certainly accounts for the rambling nature of this post. But some help before Tuesday, when my campaign resumes, would be appreciated.

Last edited:

Isklexi

First Post
I'll have to reread the cauldron born adventure to better form some opinions on the matter. I won't have to worry about them flooding the subway with cops in my game at least. The police force in my game took some pretty heavy losses fighting the Kell guild. I'll try to get back to you with an informed opinion when I get the time.

gideonpepys

Perhaps I should light up the bat signal and ask [MENTION=63]RangerWickett[/MENTION]. Sorry for the bother, but my brain isn't working due to lack of sleep.

The short answer: In adding material to Thurston's draft of the adventure, I didn't think through some things as well as I should have. That said, sometimes it's okay if the party wins easily.

The long answer: I should have presented a timeline early on in the adventure, rather than sticking it near the end. That said, I should have tweaked a few things, probably.

We assumed that since lots of things were going on each day, the party would have to choose which thread to pursue most vigorously, and they'd always end up short on one of them. On a second they'd probably have an average time, and on the third they might easily accomplish their goal.

Most parties, we assumed, would focus on the Kell thread, since that's the one the king asked them to focus on. The task force probably won't succeed in time unless the PCs contribute a few missions each day apiece, and since the city is big they'd probably only be able to pursue one other lead per day. We figured they'd let the B-Team look into the other issues, and at some point some of the B-Team would die.

And yeah, most groups will probably not look into the Ekossigan stuff right off the bat, because Asrabey's handling it. But if they do, they can have a much easier time against him (though likely at the expense of the mission against Kell, or against the dwarves).

The party is supposed to find the Malice Beasts meet-up and thwart it. But it's not supposed to be easy to know where the dwarves are striking for the bomb. It seems like a big offender is the final paragraph on page 46. Looking at it now, I think it should have said, "There is an envelope, its seal broken, that contained a letter to the news director of the Flint Tribune, inviting him to send a reporter to the opening ceremony of a new subrail stop, Sharon M. Baker Station (Red Line, station 4). See Player’s Handout: Subrail Opening. (See page 53 for a
map of the subrail system.)"

The idea was that the party should have to figure out what the letter was about, since it's just an empty envelope (a piece of mail stolen from the Flint Tribune, which gives some of the radicals an invitation to the event). The reference to the handout I'm also confused by. Maybe I suggested something during layout about 'the invitation' thinking we needed a handout for the peace summit dinner, and we instead ended up adding this mention here? I'm not sure, but it's a snafu on my part.

Nevertheless, the party should be able to figure out where the attack is taking place. And even if they do have a lot of police there, the dwarves have a first group start a gunfight at the entrance of the station, drawing the police force away from the tunnels. If the party oversees things and makes sure to cover the tunnel entrances too, or if they just lay in wait with additional police, we suggest (in the sidebar on page 50) that the dwarves have more allies show up via rail car.

I should probably, in the hardcover compilation, add some suggestions for what to do if the whole event is shut down. The dwarves would probably go for a less flashy but much easier target, like the Central district city hall.

gideonpepys

But I want the monsters to get set loose in the city! Waaaah! :mad:

Thanks for clearing that up for me. I couldn't tell if I was missing something and it was doing my head in.

gideonpepys

Reread everything after a decent night's sleep and it all makes much more sense to me now. Thanks again for the help and sorry for the brainfart.

Rugult

On Call GM
Ok, glad Ryan caught this!

But yeah, the Malice Beasts are 'supposed' to be stopped, as we want the PCs to get the drop on the perps at least once in a while. This should reinforce that they are decent at their job instead of always one step behind.

The rail station is a bit more tricky, and the PCs should learn about it from Kinko's (errrr... Soknik), but the encounter should be allowed to occur in a manner that the PCs come prepared to the stand-off.

At least, those are my 2.33 cents.

gideonpepys

Ok, glad Ryan caught this!

But yeah, the Malice Beasts are 'supposed' to be stopped, as we want the PCs to get the drop on the perps at least once in a while. This should reinforce that they are decent at their job instead of always one step behind.

This sentiment I applaud. I just wish the idea hadn't been applied to the one point in the campaign where I get to use my monster minis. You guys even make reference to the dirth of such encounters in the sidebar!Yet the poor old Malice Beasts are left to fester in their cages.

Thanks very much for your response, though. We're enjoying the adventure, and it's working out as a fabulous end to heroic tier.

Well, then have the transport ship either ram the PCs' boat and unleash them on deck, or just run aground and let them all go in a panic. Easy peasy.

gideonpepys

Well, then have the transport ship either ram the PCs' boat and unleash them on deck, or just run aground and let them all go in a panic. Easy peasy.

Oh, don't worry - I fully intend to. Although judging by our most recent session, the players have missed the Soknik's Repairs clue, so they might be cutting it a bit fine anyway. I was only drawing you guys' attention to the matter in case you felt like changing it, but if it was intentional fair enough.

Remove ads