D&D 5E CB's Stonefast IC -- COMPLETE

OOC: In case it comes up, you may move through an ally's square (unless the ally won't permit you to do so and has some way of forcibly blocking you). You can try to squeeze past a foe that is two sizes larger or smaller than you, but doing so is moving through difficult terrain, and you'll probably incur an opportunity attack.

Forged Fury

First Post
OOC: Aw, I have a soft spot for kobolds. I hope it is an evil kobold. Also, although I think our discussions about marching order covered it, but moving through ally spaces is also difficult terrain. To cut down on posting, Fulgrim is basically doing the following:
1) If there is space to move up while still remaining in the rear of the party, he does so.
2a) If there is a visible enemy, he will Fire Bolt it.
2b) If there are three or more visible enemies, he will cast Sleep at the dogleg intersection point.
2c) If there are no visible enemies, he will ready to cast Fire Bolt at the first one that shows its head.

I think that accounts for any eventuality. If something comes out of the two rooms we didn't check, he'll focus his efforts there.

"Ah, a lizard of knowledge! Let me further enlighten you!" Fulgrim took aim at the short reptilian creature and bathed it in fire, watching with stoic eyes as the creature was engulfed in flames. Satisfied as the creature fled, the dwarf mage had a momentary worry that the creature may not have had ill intentions. Then again, with all the chanting, he didn't think anyone would blame him for the pre-emptive strike. The dropped book caught his interest, Fulgrim hoped it wouldn't be destroyed in the ensuing fight.

The barbarian Halfling is not a tactical figure and as it is usually done in his tribe with his friends, he rush forward with the sword above his head with intention to decapitate the mage head.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
OOC: Okay, with Spec at the back of the pack and everyone moving forward, it doesn't make sense for him to do so too. So here's what I propose: to attempt to use the help action. Since there's no one in combat within 5' of him, he wants to help with Guran's skill check, hopefully improving that stealth check (or the perception check; Tuxgeo's choice), by manipulating the light. If doing this at range isn't kosher, CB, just say so.

The sight of the small reptilian energizes Father Spec's senses. He sees Guran at the front take off after it, and by waving his mace from the back of the pack, he causes the party's shadows to elongate, and move about. Perhaps the shifting light will increase the shadows for Guran as he takes off down the corridor, or perhaps will help him see.

Round 1

Initiative:
Spec 19
Guran 18
Colden 18
Other creatures 16
Fulgrim 13
Chanter 8
Roscoe 6

The sight of the small reptilian energized Father Spec's senses. If Guran's ten feet of distance forward from Colden was anything to judge by, Spec sensed that Guran was about to stalk forward for a look around the dogleg. Spec stayed where he was back by the t-intersection, but waved his mace, causing the shadows given by his light spell to elongate and waver. Snake-like flame and shadow flickered and crept down the length of the corridor.
OOC: Someone much smarter and more gracious than me once said "Say yes or roll the dice." That's what I want to do here. You gave great descriptive text, [MENTION=23484]Kobold Stew[/MENTION], for how to use Spec's light spell to help Guran. So my answer is yes, that'll work. And, not only that, but the shadows will grant an additional +1 to Guran's Stealth rolls. I give a roll (see below) for Advantage and the +1, but, really, it's just pro forma. What you two want to accomplish will work.

GM: Stealth advantage for Guran, using Spec's spellwork as help = 10. His first Stealth roll becomes a 14 when the +1 bonus is included.

Guran advanced 15' as silently as he could, moving slowly. Edging as close to the left wall as he could, he stopped just before entering the hallway. Crouching, Guran lowered his head and turns his face to the left. He peeked into the hallway, quickly withdrawing his head after getting a glimpse. He spied a cluster of at least four kobolds ten feet away, and what looked like an Elf at the end of the hallway 15' away. The Elf seemed not to notice Guran. She had her eyes closed and began chanting, pointing a finger at the dogleg. Something in her manner alarmed the dwarf, who booked it out of there, retreating 10' back up the corridor, careful to keep the wall at his back.
OOC: The door to the room is right in front of Guran. It opens into the corridor. You can probably use it for cover if need be.

Colden held his ground and readied his handaxe to throw at whatever might come around the corner. The chanting continued. And then several things occurred all at once in a confusion of haste and might. With Spec still right in front of him, Fulgrim stayed at the t-intersection. An Elf stepped into the dogleg's bend. Long hair that might once have been blonde if it wasn't shot with the grey of age hung limpid on her head. She was old, a crone, and her skin was papery to the point of near-translucence. She wore tattered robes that hung from her frame in ragged remnants, their color faded to obscurity. As soon as Colden saw her, he threw his handaxe at her. The axe whistled clean through the air, hit the far wall at the dogleg, and clattered to the floor without impacting the Elf. Fulgrim reacted in the same moment; he barked a word of power and loosed a fire bolt. The magical bolt streaked down the corridor, through the Elf, and splashed against the far wall of the dogleg behind the Elf, who remained standing, utterly untouched. She smiled, showing cruel teeth, then raised a white hand and pointed at Fulgrim. "Ondath eror!" [sblock=Roscoe]The Halfling recognized the Elvish for "be though still of voice."[/sblock]

All sound within the corridor ceased immediately and fully. All five of you immediately went deaf!

GM: Deafness. A deafened creature can't hear and automatically fails any ability check that requires hearing. All spells that require a verbal component are impossible.

Roscoe bolted forward with his sword held over his head. He intended to decapitate the Elf, but his progress was impeded by Guran, who now stood 5' north of the open door in the corridor. Roscoe finished his movement directly behind Guran.
OOC: By my count, Roscoe has 25' of movement and the Halfling Nimbleness ability. He can move past Colden, but runs out of movement to dart past Guran, so he'll be held up behind Guran in the corridor for this round. I checked your RG character sheet, but didn't see anything like Dash that would grant additional movement.

OOC: End of Round 1. Everyone is up. Please state your action and I will resolve in initiative order.

GM:
Chanter FULL UP
Kobold 1 FULL UP
Kobold 2 FULL UP
Kobold 3 FULL UP
Kobold 4 FULL UP
Other creatures FULL UP

Last edited:

tuxgeo

Adventurer
OOC: Rules Question: Inability to move through an opponent's square. Does that also apply for incorporeal beings? If that CHANTER has no physical body, can Guran move through her space? If he can, does it take 2 squares to move through that one square? Can she block him?

(umm. umm. umm.)
Quickly, Guran turns to his comrades. He can't hear anything!
He points "dramatically" at Colden and, raising the handaxe he still holds, clasps his throwing hand temporarily with his other hand. Guran then pantomimes a mighty two-handed, down-sweeping axe stroke.

Not waiting to see whether Colden takes the hint, Guran advances to the dogleg. If he can do it, he moves through the space occupied by the CHANTER who cannot be touched by mundane weapons. If he gets past her, he throws his handaxe at the foremost kobold. (Please roll for me, I don't yet know if he gets past and can attack.)

Edit to add: More is the point, I don't know whether the pantomiming took his action, so he can't attack.

Skarsgard

Explorer
The sudden silence scared Colden as much as the sight of his handaxe going through the elf creature. He roars soundlessly and charges up behind Guran drawing his flail as he does.

[sblock=ooc] if he can he will move through the elf and if there is another target he will attack it, otherwise he will attack the elf.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

[/sblock]

OOC: My gut tells me that, yes, the rule for difficult terrain and moving through a square occupied by a foe that is two sizes larger or smaller than you applies to an incorporeal being for the reason that said being would still be a creature and a foe per se.

Remove ads