• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

CD3: -=- THULLGRIM -=- please read last page

Conaill

First Post
I ignored the fact that the rogue would have risen as a shadow in 4 rounds (i rolled it) cause if the shadow that made the spawn ran away who would control it?
Nobody, it'll just be an independent Shadow, just like the two original ones. Create Spawn is an important ability and shouldn't be ignored (and it's 1d4 rounds - not 4 rounds, so the new Shadow may show up while they're still fighting the first two!)

Idea: Those two shadows are going to be back after 10-20 rounds, plus that killed Rogue will turn into a shadow as well... why not give the party a Ghost Touch item as treasure in room 2? Maybe underneath a pile of bones in front of that trapped and scorched door? :D They're going to have to deal with incorporeal opponents again, and it would be a good idea to make sure the Ftr doesn't feel completely useless...

Last edited:

DiFier

First Post
Conaill said:
Nobody, it'll just be an independent Shadow, just like the two original ones. Create Spawn is an important ability and shouldn't be ignored (and it's 1d4 rounds - not 4 rounds, so the new Shadow may show up while they're still fighting the first two!)

Idea: Those two shadows are going to be back after 10-20 rounds, plus that killed Rogue will turn into a shadow as well... why not give the party a Ghost Touch item as treasure in room 2? Maybe underneath a pile of bones in front of that trapped and scorched door? :D They're going to have to deal with incorporeal opponents again, and it would be a good idea to make sure the Ftr doesn't feel completely useless...

I ignored the rogue shadow mostly cause the party was probablly gonna be dead if I didn't, and with out the rogue they can't get past the door to room 3.

I said 4 rounds cause I rolled a d4 and got a 4.

I'm running through it again. this time the wizard cast magic weapon on the fighter's bastard sword. the cleric turned them. (but the cleric lost 4 str)

their in room 2 and soon the shadows will come back. I like the ghost touch weapon idea.

Last edited:

Conaill

First Post
You don't need a Rogue to open the door to room 3. Only thing you need is Read Magic - or a single Knock spell.

Note to die_kluge:

- You should probably specify if the statues are carrying real weapons, or only decorative (marble?) ones.

- Casting Knock on the door seems like a really cheapo way to circumvent this entire encounter - any way to prevent that?

der_kluge

Adventurer
Conail, it would take 6 knock spells, since there are 6 locks, and 4 latches (which require no skill). But, even if they use 6 knock spells (no 5th level party will have that many), they still have to touch the door to open it, and they'll take damage then.

Good point about the weapons. I'll revise it to indicate that the weapons are ornamental.

The trap is toughest if there is no read magic or detect magic in the party. I could throw some optional thing in there about making the riddles and answers mundane writing (non-magical) in the event that there are no spellcasters.

der_kluge

Adventurer
I changed my room entry.

If everyone is in favor of me adding a pile of bones with a ghost touch longsword in it in front of the door, I can do that.

Seems awful *nice*, though. ;)

DiFier

First Post
Conaill said:
You don't need a Rogue to open the door to room 3. Only thing you need is Read Magic - or a single Knock spell.

Note to die_kluge:

- You should probably specify if the statues are carrying real weapons, or only decorative (marble?) ones.

- Casting Knock on the door seems like a really cheapo way to circumvent this entire encounter - any way to prevent that?

One knock will only undo 2 locks. there are 12 locks on it. Tho 2 require no skill to unlock. Solving the puzzle causes 6 knocks to be cast. undoing all 12 locks (tho the description says all but 4). The skill open lock is trained only. so only a PC with openlock can even attept to unlock 8 of them and 2 are very high DC's that only some one with open lock as a class skill would have a high enough skill to open.

I guess that you don't need the rogue if you can figure out the puzzle but even if you could you wouldn't know that the puzzle unlocked the door. I basically had the PCs rolling wisdom checks to see if they could figure it out. (since I was playing them) and they were not successful. The second time with the rogue they got hurt bad by this trap. The rogue only had 25 HP and he took 24 pts of damage the first time. after they moved around the weapons they had to try again (cause they don't know that the statues cast knock. when you succeed.) the fighter tried it this time and took 14 pts of damage but the average is 16 pts of damage that's a lot for a 5th level charachter (the wizard had only 17 HP). eventually the wizard rolled a 20 on his wisdom and I decieded that they figured it out.

DiFier

First Post
die_kluge said:
Conail, it would take 6 knock spells, since there are 6 locks, and 4 latches (which require no skill). But, even if they use 6 knock spells (no 5th level party will have that many), they still have to touch the door to open it, and they'll take damage then.

Good point about the weapons. I'll revise it to indicate that the weapons are ornamental.

The trap is toughest if there is no read magic or detect magic in the party. I could throw some optional thing in there about making the riddles and answers mundane writing (non-magical) in the event that there are no spellcasters.

maybe make a sword in the correct hand not fire a Magic missle?

Last edited:

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
'K. Dropped the total number of zombies down to six, and only infected one with brown mold. If I figure right, this is an EL of 5. One CR 3 (brown mold zombie) and 5 CR 1/2's (total CR 2 1/2) should be a 5. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.... unless someone has a better one. ;)

Trainz

Explorer
I'm back:

First, congrats on Thullgrim's final chamber. It is quite a feat in dungeon making. Well done. I have added the torches from your description on the main map. I have also implanted the lower level on the .DNG map (there was barely room for it !). You will note that there is a secret door behind room 14. This is not really a secret door, but a place where I put a teleporter that will move the party to the lower level and back for when the DM will be using the .DNG map.

Second, I really like the way you guys communicate to shape up the dungeon. This is exactly what we intended when we decided to leave the thread active even when all the rooms are submitted.

Third, kudos to DiFier for taking the time to playtest the adventure. Very nice initiative.

Fourth, room 5 is STILL AVAILABLE ! I'm sure someone is just drooling with glee with the prospect of designing it ! :D

Fifth, I really like the new emoticons. The previous grin emoticon was quite simply freaking me out.

Finally, I'm so touched by the whole process that I think... *choke* I think I'm GONNA CRY ! BWAAAAH ! :p

Yup. Really like the new emoticons.

Last edited:

I have an inspiation for room #5 speak up if someone else wants it. I feel bad though as I have aleady written 2 rooms....

Thullgrim

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads