Celestial Patron Warlock, Blade Pact

Warpiglet

Adventurer
Just to finally firm things up...

I went with first level war cleric, tough feat. Will take ASI at 4th (5th) and will have (1st level: 16 8 12 10 14 14); (4th/5th Level: 16 8 12 10 14 14 16).

I ultimately decided the staff was less essential. Funny how that happened...I have a mini of a Deva holding a gold hammer and thought that was cool. Secondly, I have a hard time picturing staff combat vs. swordsmen.

So when I get a pact weapon, I am planning on it being a golden "deva hammer" and it can be a war hammer or maul. Depends on whim at that point.

Since I have more durability with armor etc., I am going to forget tomb of levistus. At fifth level, I am hoping to use mask of many faces, thirsting blade and eldritch smite. I am picking a lot of low level utility spells for use with my first level slots and frankly my cleric rituals are a help here too.

I am looking for the character to be a negotiator, and advocate and herald. When all else fails it is time for thaumaturgy to shake the ground and announce the anger of the patron angel followed by the golden hammer being prepared to smite.

As to later feats? Might look into more ASIs primarily. Warcaster is a distant choice.

Main attacks will be weapon attacks with pact weapon. Ultimately thirsting blade and lifedrinker in play (as if I will even get that high!). In the first tier I have a couple of rounds in which I have three shots to land a blow. Hex could be in play but I favor utility spells or the like. I would use eldritch smites in pivotal battles.

I like the idea of trying to avoid this level of aggression if possible, but if hard pressed, being willing and able to expend a lot to lay someone or something low. It will be hard to keep a smite always in reserve but fun to unleash.

I have thusfar in 6.5 hours of play really enjoyed the role and the imagery I am able to create. My next step will be RPing a character who is almost afraid of his powers when fully manifested. Smites could be scary as could some of the nastier warlock spells...

The way I see it, the Angels can be pretty frightening if placed in a four horsemen of the apocalypse mold. If someone is being mentored and commanded by such a being, wow. Better be prepared. I don't think fiend patron warlocks are the only ones with some RP fun to be had!

Lastly, all of the comments and suggestions in the thread were helpful and helped me to hone in on a character I will really enjoy for a while. The mechanical tricks are done. At this point, it is all one class until death or retirement . It will be my job to bring it to life, of course. The use of thaumaturgy and the silver horn has already been fun as has been describing his appearance. As one eye seems to have been replaced with an emerald eye (looks like the other could have been taken out when the scar from lip to brow occurred), I am thinking about having it radiate emerald light from his helmets eye hole when he casts, self heals or whatever.

Good, good fun.

Last edited:

Remove ads