• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Celtic Monsters

MaxKaladin

First Post
I'm trying to build my "Monster Palette" for a vaguely celtic game. I'm pretty open at this point. "Fey" comes to mind, but most of the fey critters that come immediately to mind are Greek-inspired, like dryads. I know there was the firbolg thing going on, but am not aware of any other intelligent monsters unless you count the elves (Seelie/Unseelie courts). I'm not terribly well versed on what other types of "monsters" might fit a celtic palette.

What sort of monsters would you use for a "celtic" palette?

Thanks!

William Ronald

Explorer
I would include the Fomorian and Fir Bolg giants. Many Celtic myths have them or similar creatures.

Nixies and kelpies are appropriate as well, although I believe the names may be of Norse derivation. Similar creatures are found in myth and legend.

The sidhe are very important. Although there are no official statistics for them, Sepulchrave has a version of the sidhe in his story hour. You might be able to simulate them by creating a template for them. The sidhe and similar beings are often known for being hard to find or catch. Invisibility and movement powers, perhaps including plane shift at upper levels, might be appropriate as well.

I will try to get back later with some more information, as I do not have access to some of my books at the moment. Good luck, MaxKaladin.

erian_7

First Post
The pooka/phouka is a classic fey-like shapechanger (I stated one out for 3e in one of the mods I published through Living Greyhawk). The nuckalvee (recently stated on the WotC website, I believe even in the Fey Corner series, but they spelled it differently) is a nice undead/aberration type monster. Fomorians (enemies of the Firbolg) are the classic Celtic giants, and cyclops work well thrown in there with them (the King of the Fomorians had only one eye). Pechs (they're in the 2e MM-earth-based fey; likely derived from legends about the Picts) are a good one, but I've not seen any d20 stats for these. The banshee has strong Celtic roots. I can get you tons more if you'd like. The Celt Campaign sourcebook was an excellent 2e resource for Celtic adventuring. If you can lay hands on a copy or a PDF (if they made one), I highly recommend this and all the historical campaign supplements. If not, I can get you references when I get home.

Eric

erian_7

First Post
William Ronald said:
The sidhe are very important. Although there are no official statistics for them, Sepulchrave has a version of the sidhe in his story hour. You might be able to simulate them by creating a template for them. The sidhe and similar beings are often known for being hard to find or catch. Invisibility and movement powers, perhaps including plane shift at upper levels, might be appropriate as well.

Starting with the Half-Fey template applied to elves might work. The Manual of the Planes recommends using the Celestial template on elves, but some of the pieces don't fit properly. Anytime I use the Sidhe, it's in a campaign that doesn't have elves, as one derives from the other.

MaxKaladin, if you're going Celtic, I'd recommend limiting the race to mostly humans, actually, with perhaps some that have either the Giant or (create a new) Sidhe bloodline. Dwarves/Gnomes were usually evil, associated with Trolls, Underground, and Dark Magic (similar to Norse mythology). Halflings and Orcs didn't exist. Of course, if you're just "Celtic-lite" this might be overboard.

tarchon

First Post
Depends on what monster stats you have access to, but a basic list of them would include selkies (AKA roans, basically wereseals), spriggans, leprechauns, banshees (bean sidhe), water horses (AKA each uisge, cabal ushtey - aquatic horse-like creature that eats people), brownies, bogarts, boggans, fir bolga, formorians, pookas. Generally, malevolent water spirits are common in British folklore, typically depicted as horses or women.
Official monsters with those names however may or may not resemble the originals.

VirgilCaine

First Post
The pooka/phouka is a classic fey-like shapechanger (I stated one out for 3e in one of the mods I published through Living Greyhawk). The nuckalvee (recently stated on the WotC website, I believe even in the Fey Corner series, but they spelled it differently) is a nice undead/aberration type monster. Fomorians (enemies of the Firbolg) are the classic Celtic giants, and cyclops work well thrown in there with them (the King of the Fomorians had only one eye). Pechs (they're in the 2e MM-earth-based fey; likely derived from legends about the Picts) are a good one, but I've not seen any d20 stats for these.

No, to my knowledge Mrs. Chumley, thats something very old.

The Pech is in the Creature Catalog.

http://www.enworld.org/cc/converted/fey/pech.htm

The Fomorians, Firbolgs, and a few cyclopian giants are in the Creature Catalog also.

http://www.enworld.org/cc/converted/index.php

MaxKaladin

First Post
I'll check out these sources.

The Sidhe will probably be elves with a lot of magic with a lot of the feel being in appearances. I may apply the half-fey template, but the one I saw said something about wings if I recall correctly. I don't really want winged elves.

I wasn't aware there were dwarves, gnomes or trolls in celtic lore. I was going to exclude them but may have to research more. I'm using halflings and orcs, but that's because I'm going "Celtic light". The orcs are going to be my "picts". The halflings are going to have campaign-specific reasons for being there and won't be terribly numerous. Humans will be the predominant race.

Raven Crowking

First Post
Two words: Celtic Age.

Check out the Avalanche Press book, and The Little People, a d20 supplement with celtic faerie stats, including discussions of English, Irish, Welsh, Scottish, and Gallic faeries.

Bastion Press's Faeries is also an excellent sourcebook.

RC

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads