Centaurs - Seeking your thoughts on a homebrew race

MechaPilot

Explorer
I'm working on the centaur race for my homebrew setting. This is what I have for racial features so far. Any thoughts, concerns or constructive criticisms are welcome.

Asa centaur, you have the following traits:

Ability Score Increase. Your Strength, Constitution and Wisdom scores increase by 1.

Age. Centaurs mature quickly. A newborn centaur is able to walk within minutes and has the upper body of a prepubescent teenager. In a couple days, the centaur can speak. Within five years the centaur reaches physical maturity.

Size. Your humanoid upper half is medium sized, making you medium size for the purposes of wielding and wearing equipment with your upper body. However, for all other purposes your size is large.

Speed. 50 feet.

Hooves. You're proficient with unarmed strikes using your hooves. A hoof attack deals 1d6 + Strength modifier bludgeoning damage on a hit.

Kick. As an action, you can kick an enemy with your rear hooves. This attack does 2d6 + Strength modifier and the target must make a successful Strength saving throw or be pushed 10 feet. If the target fails the saving throw by 5 or more, she is also knocked prone. The DC for the saving throw equals 8 + your proficiency modifier + your Strength modifier.

If you use the optional facing rules from page 252 of the Dungeon Master's Guide,you can only make kick attacks against targets in your rear arc. However, when a creature moves through your rear arc, you may kick that creature as a reaction instead of changing your facing.

Charger. You gain the Charger feat (see page 165 of the Player's Handbook).

Ropesmanship. Your proficiency bonus is added to any checks made to perform rope tricks or to restrain a creature with rope. Additionally, you have proficiency with the lariat special weapon (See the Equipment section).

Horse-kin. Your proficiency bonus is added to any Charisma (Handle Animal),Intelligence (Nature) and Wisdom (Insight) checks related to horses.

RunRoughshod. If a creature is prone and at least one size smaller than you are,you can move through the space it occupies as if that space were not difficult terrain. If that space is difficult terrain for a reason other than the smaller prone creature laying in it, the space remains difficult terrain. You remain prohibited from ending your movement in an enemy's space.

Trample. As a bonus action, if you move through the space of any creatures that are both prone and at least one size smaller than you are, you can make one hoof attack against each one of them if you treat their spaces as difficult terrain that requires 3 feet of movement for each foot moved (15 feet for a 5 foot space).

Last edited:

Satyrn

First Post
The question that leaps to my mind is: How does armor work for the centaur?

Like, is platemail both the metal breastplate and metal barding? I'm just kinda wondering about the price and availability . . . and more importantly if I found some magic armor in the dungeon, how it would benefit my centaur champion.

MechaPilot

Explorer
The question that leaps to my mind is: How does armor work for the centaur?

Like, is platemail both the metal breastplate and metal barding? I'm just kinda wondering about the price and availability . . . and more importantly if I found some magic armor in the dungeon, how it would benefit my centaur champion.

That's a good question. The centuars in my setting are semi-nomadic tribes-people. So, I don't imagine them wearing much plate. They gravitate more towards the barbarian class. However, when they do wear armor, it's partly normal armor for the humanoid torso and partly barding for the lower body. Simply because of the added materials and construction time, the cost of such armor would be higher.

Regarding found magic armor: it already automatically resizes for characters, so there is an existing precedent for the armor having more material to it when worn by a medium-sized character as opposed to a small one. I don't see much of a reason not to extend that rule to the armor reworking itself to fit the centaur's lower half.

MechaPilot

Explorer
AJ dropped a Centaur lore video on Youtube a few days ago...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCzF870MSv4

Thanks for the link, but I'm okay with my centaurs having lore different from the typical D&D lore. My setting has certain built-in tensions, one of the big ones is a tension between the immortal races who were created by the gods, and the mortal races (i.e. humans and goblins) who were accidents of evolution. Centaurs in my setting are squarely in the category of the chosen ones who were created.

BLC1975

First Post
The video doesn't just go into the lore side of things but also looks at the physiology of the creature with some ideas and thoughts of how to approach them as player character, can they climb, where are their internal organs, additional fall damage due to their weight, are they bothered about having sex in public etc. it's a cool vid.

Draegn

Explorer
MechaPilot, do you have penalties for entering buildings and other structures? I would imagine that a centaur would not have a nice time climbing a narrow winding stairwell in someone's tower.

Remove ads