Champions of ZED: Zero Edition Dungeoneering

Aldarron

Explorer
Champions of ZED is the first and only comprehensive Sandbox edition of the world’s first fantasy RolePlaying game! Champions of ZED weaves together the scattered rules and intentions of original game authors Dave Arneson and Gary Gygax, including revisions drawn from the long lost Beyond This Point Be Dragons manuscript.
CoZ is built from the ground up for sanbox play, following the methods of the original game. It hearkens to a time when players built their fantasy worlds together, one hex at a time, when vanilla settings from far off publishing houses simply did not exist; when a handful of dice and creative minds crafted and conquered worlds of their own.
Please visit my Kickstarter page and become a patron of this project:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/280000504/champions-of-zed-zero-edition-dungeoneering

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I hadn't heard about the missing manuscript before -- how did you get access to it, and how exclusive is this access? Am I right in thinking the major differences between ZED and Labyrinth Lord will be due to rules taken from Arneson's manuscript?

Aldarron

Explorer
I hadn't heard about the missing manuscript before -- how did you get access to it, and how exclusive is this access? Am I right in thinking the major differences between ZED and Labyrinth Lord will be due to rules taken from Arneson's manuscript?

Well, I've been posting about the mss on my blog and I'll just refer to answer your question about how it came to me
http://boggswood.blogspot.com/2012/05/beyond-this-point-be-dragons-d.html
The physical manuscript is in private hands. There are rumored to be other copies among associates of Dave Arneson. I'm hoping a way will be found in the not too distant future to make it legally available to everyone that makes the possible stakeholders happy.

I wouldn't say that the Arneson mss influence is the main difference between CoZ and LL. CoZ, like the 3LBB's is sandbox driven and sticks to the earlier rules, not the changes ushered in with B/X. It's a lot more flexible and has different play assumptions. XP is very different, for example.

Last edited:

Aldarron

Explorer
Over 100 backers now and 80% funded. If you have been sitting on the fence now is the time to sign up and push CoZ to the finish line!

Aldarron

Explorer
Champions of Zero Edition Dungeoneering has achieved it's finding goal! We are now offering a CoZ adventure in PDF written by game designer Gerald D. Seypura (Crossbones(TM), Wild West(TM)) as a stretch goal reward. Please come look at our Kickstarter page and consider becoming a patron of this fantastic RPG!

Remove ads