Channeled spells vs. Invisibility

Ruined

Explorer
Weird question from a player/GM friend of mine. If a caster is in the midst of casting Call Lightning gains the invisibility effect, would the subsequent actions of calling down lightning bolts against targets break the invisibility? He's thinking that since the actions are indirect, it may not break the effect.

SRD about Invisibility:
The spell ends if the subject attacks any creature. For purposes of this spell, an attack includes any spell targeting a foe or whose area or effect includes a foe. (Exactly who is a foe depends on the invisible character’s perceptions.) Actions directed at unattended objects do not break the spell. Causing harm indirectly is not an attack. Thus, an invisible being can open doors, talk, eat, climb stairs, summon monsters and have them attack, cut the ropes holding a rope bridge while enemies are on the bridge, remotely trigger traps, open a portcullis to release attack dogs, and so forth. If the subject attacks directly, however, it immediately becomes visible along with all its gear. Spells such as bless that specifically affect allies but not foes are not attacks for this purpose, even when they include foes in their area.

Thanks to all of you knowledgeable people!

Nail

First Post
Ruined said:
If a caster is in the midst of casting Call Lightning gains the invisibility effect, would the subsequent actions of calling down lightning bolts against targets break the invisibility?
Is Call Lightning an attack (which targets a foe or whose area or effect includes a foe)?

Yes, yes it is. :)

Salthorae

Imperial Mountain Dew Taster
Sure would break the invisibility as others noted.

BUT, the enemy might not notice that one horse in the middle of the others that seems to be staring at a spot right before lightening strikes each time

You don't have to stay as a human to call the bolts of lightening, and if you have natural spell... mmm Fun with Wild Shape! :D

werk

First Post
James McMurray said:
That's why whenever I see lightning I start killing all the animals around. If the storm doesn't end after that I burn down the trees.

True...better safe than sorry.

evilbob

Explorer
Lol - what a hilarious character concept: someone who destroys all animal and plant life in the vicinity every time a storm comes through...
"Yup, we call ol' Grunk our local weatherman, cause you know it's about to be a big ol' storm when suddenly all our cattle are dead and the corn's burnt to the ground. Poor Grunk. He's not the sharpest stick in the pile."

Remove ads