Chaos and Law are IN!

Wolfspider

Explorer
hong said:
Pish tosh. If you can handle a monster stat called "saving throw", you can handle a monster stat called "artillery".

I don't know. It might send me into messy spasms of nerd rage. ;)

Seriously, though, that gnoll better better be carrying at the very least a ballista.... :]

I think I have been misunderstood. I agree that IF the 4E equivalent of LN and CN are in 4E they will be called just Lawful and just Chaotic. But will they be in? We have seen just Good, just Evil and Chaotic Evil. Maybe you can only have L or C if it is appended to Good or Evil. I mean is 4E alignment this:
G, LG, CG, E, LE, CE, unaligned?
OR this:
G, LG, CG, L, C, E, LE, CE, unaligned?

And that is leaving out the old 'True Neutral' anti-extreme alignment, I just can't see that being in but who knows?

Last edited:

the Jester

Legend
I hope "true neutral" is in as the alignment devoted to balance between extremes, as well as "unaligned" as the alignment of don't really think about it much.

hong

WotC's bitch
mach1.9pants said:
I think I have been misunderstood. I agree that IF the 4E equivalent of LN and CN are in 4E they will be called just Lawful and just Chaotic. But will they be in? We have seen just Good, just Evil and Chaotic Evil. Maybe you can only have L or C if it is appended to Good or Evil. I mean is 4E alignment this:
G, LG, CG, E, LE, CE, unaligned?
OR this:
G, LG, CG, L, C, E, LE, CE, unaligned?

And that is leaving out the old 'True Neutral' anti-extreme alignment, I just can't see that being in but who knows?
Someone else said it first; if you correlated Lawful/Good and Chaotic/Evil in this way, the spasms of nerd rage (messy or not) would be enough to fill multiverses. I'd say that the presence of CE almost mandates that LE, CG and LG must also be in.

Last edited:

MaelStorm

First Post
Anyone interested to know what is going on with alignments, listen to this podcasts, The Tome Show, interviews Sara Girard and Chris Perkins at D&D XP.

At 20:36 in the interview Chris Perkins is asked if Law and Chaos are still in the game, and the answer is yes but in a different way.

At 21:36 he continues by saying that they (alignments) are still there but they have no mechanical effect in the game and that they just give a story benefit.

At 22:50 he says that pretty much 90% of the person you meet in a city is unaligned and that there is no more detect alignment.

Last edited:

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
I'm glad to see that the forces of Order and Chaos have made it over to 4E. That makes my pantheon a lot easier to adapt to the new system.

hong said:
Someone else said it first; if you correlated Lawful/Good and Chaotic/Evil in this way, the spasms of nerd rage (messy or not) would be enough to fill multiverses. I'd say that the presence of CE almost mandates that LE, CG and LG must also be in.
Yep thats what I put BUT will their be just CHAOTIC (i.e. a 4E equivalent to CN) and just LAWFUL (i.e. a 4E equivalent to LN) in 4E? That is my question...
IMO: G, E, CG, LG, LE, CE, unaligned for sure are in
But are
1. L and C in?
2. How about N/TN?

Darth Cyric

First Post
I never got the impression the classic alignments would be left out. As long as they're no longer tied to mechanics, I'm fine with it.

Most of the silly alignment arguments at the table took place because players were afraid they might have to change their alignments away from that prescribed of a particular class. That's the crap 4e looks as if it's scrapping. Now that Paladins are no longer required to be lawful good by a narrow and highly subjective definition, instead of whether the Paladin is acting lawful good, the question can now be the more important, "Is the Paladin furthering the cause of his deity in a manner that his deity would not frown upon?"

It's not going to stop the nerd rage on Teh Internets, but I avoid alignment debate threads like the plague.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases