Coming [Chaosium] Chaosium announces new edition of Daniel Harms’ Encyclopedia Cthulhiana

Michael O'Brien

Hero
Publisher
The two previous Chaosium editions of Encyclopedia Cthulhiana (front 1994 edition, back 2008 edition)

Ann Arbor MI, 10 November 2023 — Chaosium, publisher of the tabletop roleplaying game Call of Cthulhu, is to publish a new edition of Daniel Harms’s Encyclopedia Cthulhiana: A Guide to Lovecraftian Horror.

The Encyclopedia Cthulhiana is a meticulous and comprehensive listing of entities, cults, and lore of the Cthulhu Mythos, presented in alphabetized format. It draws from the works of H.P. Lovecraft and many other authors who developed and expanded significantly upon the Cthulhu Mythos over the past century, including Ramsey Campbell, Robert Bloch, Stephen King, and many others. As a significant contributor to the Cthulhu Mythos in its own right since 1981, the Call of Cthulhu tabletop roleplaying game and its many scenarios, and sourcebooks is also extensively referenced.

Daniel Harms

“The Mythos has exploded in popularity since the last edition fifteen years ago,” says Harms. “It’s been great to dive back into this well of source material so I can expand the book even further.”

Call of Cthulhu creative director Mike Mason said, “The Encyclopedia Cthulhiana has long been an essential reference for me as a writer and scenario designer. It bursts with insights and details on all manner of Mythos monsters, Great Old Ones, tomes, cultists, and locations. All in one handy package! What’s great is that it not only covers things found in Mythos fiction but also includes numerous contributions from the Call of Cthulhu roleplaying game, making it even more useful. It’s great to be working with Dan Harms in bringing this new edition out—after all, the original edition was published by Chaosium, so it’s wonderful to see the book coming home!”

First published by Chaosium in 1994, the Encyclopedia Cthulhiana won an Origins Award for a Special Achievement the following year. Chaosium published an updated second edition in 1998, and a third edition was published by Elder Signs Press in 2008.

Chaosium’s fourth edition will feature updated text and will be presented in a new full color, hardback format with interior art. The project at Chaosium will be managed by fiction line editor Susan O’Brien.

A release date is yet to be announced.

Image - top: the two previous Chaosium editions of Encyclopedia Cthulhiana (front 1994 edition, back 2008 edition)
Image - right: Daniel Harms

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
I'm quite looking forward to this! I picked up each prior edition shortly after they came out, pouring over them, and a fourth iteration is long overdue!

Last edited:

Remove ads