• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Character Builder Beta available

malraux

First Post
My install took forever, but I'm used to that since I never use the windows partition, which means that every time windows boots, it takes a while to get itself updated. That and really I don't worry too much about installation times.

General criticisms: it runs like a windows program. That is, it has its own interface that really doesn't look like any other interface I've ever used, so I have to learn that particular program. It also seems to require a lot of clicks that really seem to be just version of "are you sure?" That said, its about what I expect anytime I boot into windows.

A few problems with word wrapping on the character sheet. My eladrin racial features text get cut off when they go outside their box rather than wrapping to the next line. It would also be nice to be able to set font sizes.

The power cards are nice. I can't say that they are perfect, but they are really good. I do have some complaints about the formating though. First, it would be really nice to have an easy way to cut them out. A slight amount of space between each card, those guide lines that show where the cutter should start, etc. Something so I don't have to think much to cut the cards free. Second, it would be nice if you could arrange them such that the static ones are on a different page. If I have a few vials of alchemist's acid, I don't need to waste toner every level to print the same card out, similarly fey step is the same regardless of level, as are my wizard's cantrips.

The good: I think this program has done what none of the 3e character generators was able to do, make using stuff outside the phb options work as well as the core options. Of course, the big test of this will be when martial power comes out, but so far I've been reasonably impressed.

catsclaw227

First Post
That might be, too. IIRC, Vista ships with .NET 3.0 build in, not 3.5.
It might be hard to explain, but basically: .NET 3.0 and 3.5 can (and sometimes have) to exist in parallel. While a Service Pack or a bugfix release will really exchange the old version...

Yes, .NET 3.0 and .NET 3.5 do run in parallel, and they don't conflict, they enhance each other. In truth, a lot of it is just updates additional libraries for 2.0. :)

Though, .NET 3.5 SP1, might be considered an "important" update to .NET 3.5 and would be downloaded automatically if you had 3.5 installed. Not sure, since I don't think it's up at Windows Update yet.

catsclaw227

First Post
For all who want to know, if you log into DDI and go to the Character Builder download page, the version for everyone to get is the updated version. You don't need to track down a forum post to get to it.

amysrevenge

First Post
Hooray! Now it works on my big-boy computer, not just my baby laptop. :) Now I just need to port over the characters I made last night (and the custom portraits I found online and added to the folder)...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads