• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Character Builder on a flash drive?

Yes, I'm quite aware of that, and I'm pretty sure that's illegal. I'm not looking for pirating options, I'm looking for mobility.

Alternatively, can a basic (levels 1-3) version of Character Builder view files that encompass later levels, even if they can't edit them?
Actually since the Character Builder and the Char Sheet Viewer are completely separate programs, I'd be surprised if the Sheet Viewer is restricted/limited. Given that the character files are just XML, I'm pretty sure the Sheet Viewer (even from a demo download) will print any file.* It is some mobility to be able to print elsewhere.

Heck, just add in something like LogMeIn.com (I use that thing daily), and you can you run the CB on your home machine from anywhere, then just email yourself the file and have the Sheet Viewer print it at your friend's house.

As near as I can tell, WotC has not only not discouraged such activity, they have mildly encouraged it. They do allow 5 separate downloads after all.
I'm more inclined to think it's for people who want a copy at home and at work (or also on laptop, etc.). If they were ok with installing it on other people's computers, it'd probably state that in the license terms you agree to when you update it, but like more user license, I'll admit to never having bothered to read it. :)

* In fact, I'm tempted to directly edit a character file to see if I can get the Sheet Viewer to display non-CB content, like say new powers or OBE's witch doctor class. Hmm... time to experiment this weekend.

Holy Smokes

First Post
Here's another vote for iplay4e: CB + iPod Touch + free wifi + iplay4e = smooth gaming. Everything I need to take with me tonight to play AGLA1-1 fits in my dice bag.

Much love for iplay4e! :cool:

IanArgent

First Post
I've been meaning to try out the virtual-machine-on-USB thing for a while. You don't have to do Linux to do it (Vista and the upcoming Windows 7 both have a virtual machine host, so you just have to come up with the OS license for the VM. I have a spare copy of Windows XP lying around since I recently upgraded to a new machine). I need to figure out if I can cram a VM image of Windows and Office onto a 2 gb USB stick.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads