D&D General Character Building

How do you begin to build your characters?

• I think of a class, then race, then background

Votes: 25 71.4%
  • I think of a class, background then race

Votes: 7 20.0%
  • I think of a race, class, then background

Votes: 7 20.0%
  • I think of a race, background, then class

Votes: 4 11.4%
  • I think of a background, class, then race

Votes: 5 14.3%
  • I think of a background, race, then class

Votes: 4 11.4%
  • I am the ultimate randomizer

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • I think of power

Votes: 3 8.6%

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
CBR was my choice, but that can vary depending on if its homebrew, sandbox, or adventure path. The more I have to work with, changes how I go about it.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
The pattern I use is not fixed. I typically build characters by allowing others to find their concepts first, and then filling in gaps. So I typically have my choices of all three narrowed somewhat, but then pick them up and juggle them fairly randomly until I find something I think it interesting

prabe

Tension, apprension, and dissension have begun
Supporter
If I'm not filling in gaps in a manner similar to @Umbran I am literally rolling randomly for race and class and picking a background that makes sense.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
I voted for all but the last two options because it’s different for different characters. Sometimes the party needs a certain role filled, so I choose a class tha fills it and go from there. Sometimes I’m excited to play a certain race so I start from there. It’s rare that I start from a background, but I have done it.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
To most of those questions I answer yes. Sometimes I envision a character of X job(background) and build from there. Other times I have a race that I haven't played in a while and start with that and build. Yet other times I will pick a class that I want to play and build. The only things on that list that I don't do are power and ultimate randomizer, but if everyone wanted to roll race, background and class completely randomly, I'd be on board.

Arilyn

Hero
It varies a lot. I don't have a set pattern. Sometimes characters bubble up and "tell" me who they are, other times I might just feel like playing a certain race or archetype, and other times I'll create a character to fill in a gap.

It’s usually different each time, it might start with a race or class I haven’t played yet as the spark.

Sometimes it can be based on an idea, like a performer that sings directly into the minds of the crowd using telepathy.

Remove ads