Character Class Self Hatred

Drew

Explorer
Like a lot of you, I'm constantly tinkering with the rules of D&D. I don't usually implement all of these changes, but it seems that I'm always tweaking. I try to bounce these ideas off my players, and I've noticed a strange trend: player's seem to feel that whatever class they're playing is weaker than other classes. If I suggest any kind of change to the actual classes, they generally have no problem unless I'm trying to change "their class." At that point, I'm often informed that the class is weak enough as it is, and change X would make it pretty much pointless to even play.

A couple examples:
The player that runs a wizard thinks that wizards are WAY too weak compared to fighters. He complains that his hp are woefully, unbalancingly low. Never mind that he's 17th level and pretty much renders himself invincible with Ghost Form and other spells. Never mind that he can kill instantly from a distance, teleport around the world without effort, etc. He plays his wizard like he's made of glass. I once proposed making falling damage more lethal, and he told me that this rule really screwed the wizard class because they are more likely to be flying or otherwise high in the air, and don't have the hp to survive a fall. When I suggested adding a few more skill points to wizards, he said "Good. Wizards need something!" Apparently the ability to throw lightning at people isn't good enough to keep the class from sucking.

The party rogue is finally coming around a bit (at, you know, 16th level or so) and realizing that he can actually stand up in a fight. As long as the odds are on his side, he deals retarded amounts of damage. Its only taken him 4 years with this character to stop acting like everything on the planet can kill him without effort. He claims that this attitude is a hold over from 2E (where thieves, according to him, were "one of the weakest classes"), but I don't know...

Have I found a trend? Do players just assume that the classes they are playing suck?

Gentlegamer

Adventurer
They are probably too used to playing fighter-types and can't realize the advantages the other classes have. Isn't all about hit points and straight up fighting.

Crothian

First Post
Not that I've noticed, in fact it is the opposite. The players know the characters are tough so they become a bit arragant and adventure without fear. It never gets to much because ever so often they are put in their place.

In the campiagn I'm playing in we took out a party of orcs over twice our number with ease. Not a single one of use even got hurt(we were only second level. So, when I see 30 orc campfiures sourounding the dwarven outpost we just liberated (from orcs, again with ease) I'm saying to the other players we can take them.

BiggusGeekus

That's Latin for "cool"
Drew said:
Have I found a trend? Do players just assume that the classes they are playing suck?

One of the strangest things I saw was a post on the Everquest message board. A guy had played a Shaman up to level 49 (the max was 65 at the time). He had been happy with his class up until he read the Shaman message boards. Now, suddenly, he was furious. He had been perfectly fine until he read some complaints about things he never experienced. I've also seen complaints about game bugs on other message forums. That wouldn't be unusual until you progress further in the thread and find out that the guy hasn't even bought a copy of the game yet.

Some folks just like to complain.

The only thing to watch out for is people with expectatons of a role that are ultimately not fufilled. I think the 3.0 ranger suffered from that. Everyone tried to play their ranger like a fighter, then they got the snot kicked out of them. Now, with the reduced hit points, its a more obvious that this isn't a front-line guy. The 3.5 ranger got a whole lot of other bonuses, that I thought was overkill, but I'm in a minority opinion.

The only thing I have to suggest to you is lower the CR of the average monster, but increase the number of monsters you toss at them. If they wipe the floor with a few mooks, that might make them happier. Or, maybe they just like to complain. Who knows?

Drew

Explorer
BiggusGeekus said:
The only thing I have to suggest to you is lower the CR of the average monster, but increase the number of monsters you toss at them. If they wipe the floor with a few mooks, that might make them happier. Or, maybe they just like to complain. Who knows?

They are a party of 17th level characters. They wipe the floor with old dragons. They use demons as feather dusters. All they really do is win, win, win. Still, half the party cringes whenever anything remotely bad shows up. I shouldn't complain. I don't want them arrogant...

Usually they justify things with statements like "Sure, we dusted the lich in 3 rounds because so and so's character just railed on it. That just goes to show you how powerful class x is. I think next time I'll play one of those."

I'm exagerating a bit. They run the gamut from cocky to scared, but whenever put on the spot they seem convinced that their class sucks, contrary to all evidence.

The wizard player to this day is convinced that sorcerers are way better wizards. WTF?

HellHound

ENnies winner and NOT Scrappy Doo
I haven't had that experience except in a few cases where the player was either (a) right or (b) had created a very sub-par character due to some bad choices and was suffering in comparison with the rest of the party.

HellHound

ENnies winner and NOT Scrappy Doo
Drew said:
The wizard player to this day is convinced that sorcerers are way better wizards. WTF?

Probably has a lot to do with the fact that Sorcerers are FAR more potent mobile weapon platforms than Wizards are, whereas wizards have the advantage of a massive diversity of spells and bonus feats.

But in a stand-up knock-down fighting and dungeoncrawling game, I can see Sorcerers as a more potent character than a wizard, and the ability to just launch spells willy-nilly without having to memorize them first is a definite advantage.

Remove ads