Character Creation for Solo DB Campaign

Elsairon

First Post
Starting to get all the materials together for a solo DB campaign, short of rolling up the characters. Most of the D&D games I played previously were pre WoTC D&D and AD&D, and the characters were usually straight up 3d6 stats and switch one. One re-roll, but if it was lower you kept it anyway. Fighters with Dex penalties and all that...

Now with the new systems, 3.0 pushing to 3.5, it seems that the PC's are powered up alot more than they were before. (Feats, etc.)

From those of you who have been playing with the new system using DB solo rules especially, is this kind of hard core straight 3d6 character generation viable? ...or am I just digging an early grave if I don't use a higher powered stat generation model for the characters.

Skarn Rapajya

First Post
Elsairon said:
is this kind of hard core straight 3d6 character generation viable? ...or am I just digging an early grave if I don't use a higher powered stat generation model for the characters.

I tend to use higher powered characters myself, and I've only ever had one character die. An unlucky 1st-level on his first trip.

I use 4d6, drop lowest, reroll 1's & 2's. It may seem a bit overpowered to some, but I was able to survive the 1st-level Demon Incursion themed encounter table with raw firsties. That was the most difficult dungeon I've faced.

With that in mind, I'm pretty sure that lower stats won't be a total disaster unless you roll like I do and have a tendency towards rolling a character with multiple 3's on 4d6 drop lowest, no rerolls.

Elsairon

First Post
I've decided to go with the 4d6 drop lowest and re-roll of the total stat bonuses are +0 or lower. Out of the first 4 characters I rolled up, one required a re-roll.

I'm starting the Goblinoid Dungeons campaign tonight, and will see what happens.

Flyspeck23

First Post
It's your choice, really. Do you want a tough and challenging game or the heroic hack'n'slash kind of game?

If playing with a group I prefer point-buy, but for pure solo (with no other player - DB uses the term for any game without GM) I prefer to roll the dice - pretty much like Skarn: 4d6, drop lowest, reroll one 1.

Remember that real GMs play to the strength and weakness of your character. It could be fun to play a weak character from time to time. But DB without a GM is pretty much unforgiving.

Elsairon said:
I'm starting the Goblinoid Dungeons campaign tonight, and will see what happens.
Good luck :)

Remove ads