• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Character Creation Now Supported: Let's Make Some Characters!

edhel

Explorer
Pathfinder point buy, with 15 points (same as array but flexible)

You know that Pathfinder is D&D 3.5 and it had the same array?

--

I made a human fighter with the 4d6 drop lowest rule. I've been playing with straight 3d6 (roll 3 sets of numbers and choose) so I feel I just made an übermensch:

Str 18, Dex 15, Con 16, Int 14, Wis 14, Cha 15

Includes +1 to all from human (+2 to Str) and +1 Con from Fighter.

I think I'll stick to point-buy or 3d6 for now. I'm getting flashbacks from my 3.0 Forgotten Realms campaign.

Iapetus

Explorer
...as best I can tell you cannot cast even minor wizard spells in armor...

I as a DM would have to rule that minor spells could be cast in armor seeing as they don't use even enough power to have a limit to the amount of times they can be cast in a day.

You know that Pathfinder is D&D 3.5 and it had the same array?
3.5 starts at 8 and goes up, PF starts at 10 and can go up or down. In 3.5 the elite array uses 25 points, so no, not quite the same.
However it has the same result but I can check my memory was correct using the PF Core Book PDF, can't check my 3.5 DMG without going into the garage cos no PDFs (thanks again WotC)

Vikingkingq

Adventurer
The new Warlock materials have given me an idea for a Half-Elf Rogue/Fae Pact Warlock who accidentally stole from a powerful lady of the Wild Hunt, the lady (sans merci, naturellement) took his soul in recompense, and now has a year and a day to get it back.

Vikingkingq

Adventurer
I'm looking forward to the Warlord being introduced; this concept doesn't seem to work as a regular Fighter given the options presented:

Character Concept: Centurion

Human Fighter, Background: Centurion (One I made up, Skills: Intimidate, Geog. Lore, Prof. (Military) Lore), Specialty: Dual Wielder, Combat Style: Protector.

I wanted a High-Int, high CHA fighter type (18 STR, 15 INT, 14 CHA) and it just seems... sub-optimal given the options presented. I hope they make some more warlord-like tactical "specialties" or make it its own class in the future.

I've been trying to create a similar concept (a cosmopolitan mercenary officer), and I ended up scavenging from the Noble and the Soldier to pick up Diplomacy and Societal Lore for my background (I also wanted an aide-de-camp, but didn't need three lackeys).

In terms of specialties, on the second Penny Arcade 5e podcast, Mearls mentioned an in-the-works (3rd level feat TBD, for example) Leader specialty with a starting feat that lets you spend an action/reaction (couldn't tell from audio) to give your allies advantage against a target plus a free move. So my hope is that Leader is the Warlord-esque specialty I can use for my Fighter (I might want to multiclass a little into Warlord, but I wanted my character to be mostly DPS/Defender with officer experience as opposed to mostly a Leader with some DPS/Defenderyness.

Vikingkingq

Adventurer
The new Warlock materials have given me an idea for a Half-Elf Rogue/Fae Pact Warlock who accidentally stole from a powerful lady of the Wild Hunt, the lady (sans merci, naturellement) took his soul in recompense, and now has a year and a day to get it back.

Ok, here's my first stab for critique (I had to do some guessing about how multi-classing works so this is still rough:

Tam o'Llayne of the Rhyming Woods (Rogue 1, Warlock 1)

Abilities:
[sblock]
Strength 9 (-1) Int 16 (+3)
Dex 17 (+3) Wis 11 (+0)
Con 13 (+1) Cha 14 (+2)

(Note: Standard Array, Human +2 to Dex, Rogue +1 to Int)
[/sblock]

Race: Human
(no half-elf as yet, besides the stats are useful for MAD issues)

Class:
Rogue: (level 1, 1st class)
[sblock]HP 7, 1d6 HD, +2 Weapon Attack
Prof: Light Armor, Basic/Finesse, S+M Missile Weapons
Thieves’ Cant,
Skill Mastery (+3/Ability to trained, can take 10+mod),
Sneak Attack (+2d6),
Thief Scheme (Level 1 - can hide in light obscure, had hide behind ¼ cover)
[/sblock]​

Warlock (level 1, 2nd class)
[sblock]
+5 HP, +1d6 HD
Magic Attack +3, Spell DC 14, 3 Invocations, Spell Level 1
Eldritch Lore (Forbidden)
Pact (Fae): 2 Favors
Boon: can spend Favor to get adv on Cha checks vs. creature w/less HP
Invocations: Eldritch Blast, Breath of Night, Shadow Veil
Ritual Magic: Comprehend Languages
[/sblock]

Background:
Thief:
[sblock]
Skills: Find and Remove Traps (Int), Open Locks (Dex), Stealth (Dex)
Trait: Thief Signs, can recognize signs, contact with underworld in 1hr
Equipment: see later
[/sblock]​
Charlatan:
[sblock]
Skills: Bluff (Cha), Insight (Wis), Sleight of Hand (Dex)
Trait: False Identity (can forge documents, disguises with Int check)
Equipment: see later
[/sblock]

Speciality:
Lurker:
[sblock]
Level 1: Ambusher (when start hidden, have advantage on 1st attack even if reveal)
[/sblock]

Equipment:
[sblock]Leather armor, shortsword, five daggers, adventurer’s kit, healer’s kit,
Thieves’ tools, lampblack, oil can, breeches with secret pocket, small steel mirror, belt pouch, two sets of clothes (common and noble), a disguise kit, ten stoppered vials filled with colored water, a set of weighted dice, playing cards, a signet ring of an imaginary duke, and 143g/9sp - longbow + arrows
[/sblock]

Combat Basics:
[sblock]
AC: 14, HP: 12, HD: 2d6
Weapon Attack: +5 with Shortsword/Dagger/Shortbow
Magic Attack: +6 with Eldritch Blast
Damage: Shortsword(1d6+3), Dagger (1d4+3), Shortbow (1d6+3)
Eldritch Blast (3d6)
[/sblock]

-----------------------------------

Things I like about this build:
1. Eldritch Blast Sneak Attacks - 5d6 damage is pretty tasty to start with.
2. With Skill Mastery and Fae Pact boon, is going to succeed on pretty much any Bluff check, and I plan to pick up Diplomacy and Intimidate too to round out his social skills.
3. Between Skill Mastery, Thief Scheme, and Breath of Night, is pretty damn good at Stealth, which will make those Eldritch Blast Sneak Attacks more likely.
4. Leveling improvements really synergize well, as get better at stealth, avoiding attacks, moving around without getting attacked, cons, etc.

Thoughts?

Remove ads