• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

character historys

Superj3nius

First Post
what do DMs do for players with or with out historys? for PC to PC relations it makes it easier with historys. What about Epic Historys? like being a prince and not knowing or something along those lines? as a player i wanted to do one of those "Once a great (class) then a battle left him powerless and know hes the eqivelent of a 1st lv (class) trying to regain his power and avenge his pain."
as a player how far do you go for a sweet history, cuz thats what really helps build a awesome team.

and when a player dies and he makes a new PC that has a history that is sooo gey the other PCs kill him, what should a DM do?

thanks
Super J3nius

Oryan77

Adventurer
I like when players make a history for their PCs but I don't require it. I just tell them that if they do make a history, it will help me come up with ideas to incorporate into the game and make the campaign more personal for them.

Most of my current players really only have a basic history that they've explained to me..nothing very detailed. So I've been trying to come up with ideas on my own to spice up the campaign and focus on their histories.

Oryan77

Adventurer
el-remmen said:

Hey Supes,

We frown on the use of "gay" as a pejorative term around here, so please desist.

Thanks.

- El-Mod
Ohhhhhhhhh......geez :confused: I thought he was talking about their player with the really good spirited history. All PCs should have dark & brooding histories with lots of tragedy...so I would have also killed that guys character! :p

Digital Archon

First Post
If a character history is longer than about 100 words i don't bother reading it, because it's likely to be a bunch of badly written wank anyway.

What's important in my games is what you're doing now.

Awakened

First Post
Uhhh... wow.
I need a couple dictionaries, a ticket to a crash course in sensitivity, and a large hammer.

Digital Archon said:
If a character history is longer than about 100 words i don't bother reading it, because it's likely to be a bunch of badly written wank anyway.

What's important in my games is what you're doing now.

WHAT? Double wow.

Stormborn

Explorer
A 1st level PC can't have quite that epic a backstory unless he also has amnesia; otherwise his knowledge skills (if nothing else) would be too high. However, I would certainly be happy to runa a game with a character that started out knowing he had amnesia and these occasional flashes or dreams of familiarity. However, to adress the OP's questions:
1) PC backgrounds are great, but should be developed in conjunction with both the DM and other players to ensure they fit the level, expectations, and campaign setting of what is to be run as well as fitting in with the rest of the party.
2) I would not play with people who killed off someone else's PC. I would either make my displesure clear enough that their behavior changed or I would find a new group.

Oh and "If a character history is longer than about 100 words i don't bother reading it, because it's likely to be a bunch of badly written wank anyway." Really. Every person in my group is a published author, with real books with our names on them. I know what we come up with could hardly be catagorized as that. I realize you are speaking from your experiance, but I would always give people the benifit of the doubt when it comes to creating character backstrory.

SiderisAnon

First Post
I Require Character Histories

In my games, I require character histories. Anyone who doesn't provide one doesn't get to use their backstory to effect the game world and they don't get to just make up something on the spur of the moment to suit some adventure.

Most of the histories I get are about one page handwritten. Sometimes, I get a few pages typed. I rarely get anything longer than that. However, I would read and if possible use a longer history if it was provided. I love working with character histories. It helps me tie them into the world, helps me create plots and events that really effect the characters, and it also seems to make the world and the characters a more "solid" place for the players.

Generally, I do not allow "fallen prince" sort of things in the history. There is just too much possible trouble from such a history -- trouble for me as the DM, that is. I will characters to have fallen from lower positions, and I do make the occasional exception for really good players and/or really interesting backgrounds.

I have done something that gave the entire party that background, however. I set up a game where they start with basically no memories after leaving home. Turns out the party was about 4-5 levels higher than they are now and a powerful magic stripped those levels from them, along with all of the memories for that same time period. So, they had a history, but no one knew it. It has made for some great roleplaying.

As examples of individual histories I've allowed:
One PC actually was a lost prince. His history didn't say that, his history left it up to me. The long-lost bastard son of the deceased husband of the very powerful NPC the party had been dealing with was just too funny to pass up. (And the player roleplayed it beautifully.)

In my current game, one of the PCs is the umpteenth son of a minor baron. The family's power was mostly stripped away by a rival lord. It gains the PC no real advantage, other than having to be addressed as "Lord" in his homeland and the right to bear arms there. It gives me the potention to have any of those other siblings get into trouble and I can always bring in the rival lord when the party gets too well known.

Also in my current game, one of the pCs is technically a minor lord in another country. The thing is: He doesn't want to be. His family wants him to be. He gets the title because any spellcaster there is nobility, and he is the first ever in his family line to be magically capable. Since the character won't go to his homeland, it gains him no advantage.

Remove ads