Characters over an infernal barrel

Lackofname

Explorer
What's the downside? Of losing HPs? I guess I didn't consider a dungeon in a hostile plane to be a safe area, particularly when dealing with some devils.
If the location is too perilous to rest, it's too perilous to haggle at length with a merchant.

Oh. Whoops. Missed that part. Maybe it's more significant if they think they're real, but later realize they're just clones? Ala Blade Runner.
They have no memories is what I'm sayin'.

Last edited:

MarkB

Legend
What's the downside for the PCs here? The salesfiend is in a relatively safe area, so they'll just rest and heal up. Is it the blood to be used in rituals against them for whatever reason? Because, while that's not a bad idea, the "for what purpose" is again limited; congrats, you have power over a monkey in a cage, basically.
Maybe it's a permanent reduction in maximum hit points - by giving over their blood to a fiend they're symbolically giving it a portion of their life.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
First, there's all kinds of things that are sending up warning flares for me about your premise, but, putting that aside, @MarkB is on the right track -- have them trade hp max or stat point reductions to the devils in exchange for goods. Maybe 50gp of goods per hitpoint or 200gp per stat point. They can buy these back at 10x markup, or spend the loot on more gear. This creates an interesting decision point.

To go back to the setup premise, it reads like you have a combat-focused dungeon crawl but also have a big story reveal you want to drop. These things fight each other, especially in the dying department -- do you want to reveal the story more or have combat be deadly more? If combat isn't going to be deadly, then the gear dilemma you're setting up isn't that important -- it has no teeth if the plan is to be just challenging enough. If you're going to run heavy combat, what's the character replacement plan, and can your story reveal survive/maintain impact through a number of character deaths? Things to consider, and hard learned.

Nytmare

David Jose
Do clones have souls? Is this something the devils know? Is the entire dungeon just a giant, elaborate, soul farm, presenting people with harder and harder obstacles to overcome so that they eventually sign over their souls without compunction?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
So... I cant' speak to your players, but mine would not pay an entire soul for basic equipment, especially if there's good chance they will be able to scavenge as they go - get a table leg club, use it to kill a goblin and take its short sword, use that to kill an orc and take its battleaxe, and so on...

So, I recommend the fiend take the "First one's free" approach. "You need basic, non-magical weapons and armor? Wow, you guys are cheap dates! Sure, here you go, on the house. Look me up again if you need something interesting....poof..."

That basic gear can be enough to allow the to get in over their heads, to the point where they need something that isn't basic. On his second visit, maybe they have some coin, and he can charge some reasonably inflated money. The third time, they are probably in deep kimchee, and they need some serious firepower, for which he can charge something serious - like 50% of all treasure if they survive and escape the dungeon, and their souls if they don't..."

the_redbeard

Explorer
One bargain that I've offered players from a demon merchant is that they sell their after life to the demon. In game play terms, if they die, they can't be raised or resurrected.

I'd think the demon would have to offer all basic equipment, plus something magical for them to be even tempted, depending on the harshness of the dungeon or your play style.

nevin

Hero
If you have good cleric or paladin in the party that entire scenario us iffy at best. Just staying with a party member who deals is a problem.

And personally even if I were playing an evil character you'd only tempt them with magic that you aren't going to hand out if the price is a soul. Being evil pissing off society is one thing. Selling souls to devils who are bypassing the entire cycle of death judgement and afterlife potentially even putting me crossways with evil gods who might have a problem with that, would require some serious fast talking and powerful items.

Lackofname

Explorer
So the PCs woke up in a magical research facility, right? The place has both Lots of funding and arcane scientists, which means lots of magical equipment. LIke the crystal that was keeping them all asleep (but it broke). And a magical "Stasis box" that works like a fridge and a bag of holding--put tons of food (or freshly dissected things in) and it doesn't rot.

The PCs surprised me by bartering this stuff with the salesdevil. And honestly, the devil just could not turn down a magical fridge.

Still, they only wound up with enough to cover a greataxe, a greatsword, a suit of chainmail, and a backpack. But that's all they needed.

Stormonu

Legend
"Look, whatcha got understand here is that everything here is impermanent. Except you ... and your soul. You want gear that'll last? Well, we'll have to do a little soul-shaping so it stays around. What'll it cost? Well, nothing you'll miss here, I guarantee."

Want a sword? It'll cost a point of Strength - but it will never break and will never be far from your hand.
Need a spellbook? That will cost a point of Intelligence - but you don't have to worry about it burning or being lost.
Armor? A point of Constitution will do. Won't need those hit points if the enemy can't hit you in the first place.
Thieve's tools? Look, what's a small loss of finger Dexterity if you can open any lock you find?
Holy Symbol? Give us a little faith and you don't need to be as wise (Wisdom) with your diety peering over your shoulder, do you?

"Can't afford it? Well, maybe we can make a deal and permanently swap away a few hit points in exchange for forging it into some mundane gear. I mean, if you strike first and kill them, they can't exactly do you harm, can they?"

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases