• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Characters that can only hit one defense

MrGrenadine

Explorer
So I'm trying out a couple Slayer characters in the CB--a halfling quarterstaff user, and a half-elf fullblade user--and as I was trying to choose the half-elf's dilletante power I realized Slayers could only target AC. This makes me a little nervous.

I played a Battlecleric of Tempus for quite a while in my weekly game, and recently switched to an Eladrin Wizard, and I had plenty of choices with both in terms of what defenses to hit--and I made sure I could hit every defense with at least one attack.

Now my Slayers, at 11th lvl, with stances and appropriate items, look like they'll be hitting AC on a 5 or 6 or better, which is terrific, but I've never played a character that can only hit one defense before, so wanted to ask if folks who have done so had any insight or advice.

I mean, at some point, we're going to run up against something with an outrageous AC, and then what?

Thanks in advance.

Incenjucar

Legend
Just make sure you use good tactics to gain combat advantage as often as possible, and you'll be fine. Defenses will only go so high compared to your level.

Mentat55

First Post
Slayers are very accurate -- my level 16 slayer is +25 vs. AC*, which hits level 16 soldiers on a 7.

If you'd rather have the ability to target another defense, you could use a light blade, spear, or pick. Deft Blade and Impaling Spear allow you to target Reflex instead of AC on basic attacks, and Piercing Pick lets you target Fortitude.

Honestly, unless your DM uses a lot of monsters significantly above your level (particularly bad offenders are higher level soldiers), you will be more than fine.

*Str 22 (+6) + half level (+8) + proficiency (+3) + Weapon Talent (+1) + Expertise (+2) + Kensei Focus (+1) + weapon enhancement (+4)

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
It's mostly OK.

Other defenses only lag about 2 behind AC on their low side (generally), and don't get your Proficiency Bonus, so they're basically a wash.

If the AC tends to be high, you do a few things: CA, flanking, charge attacks, buff powers, high Prof bonus weapons, debuffs like dazing or blindness, etc. You can stack some ridiculous bonuses, and even more ridiculous penalties, since these usually stack. If you STILL find yourself having difficulty, well, D&D is a team game. You rely on your other party members to wallop that guy, and you work on one of the other 5 or so critters you're facing. ;)

And if 90% of what your DM is using is soldier monsters with high ACs, then you're going to have bigger problems than whiffs (like a lot of grind).

WalterKovacs

First Post
Attacking only AC is one thing, generally you'll have weapons and the like, and thus get better than normal accuracy. If you go with a gouge, you can have a spear that is also an axe, which means you can grab impaling spear in paragon and be able to target reflex with your melee basic attacks (you can also get a feat to do it with light blades, but since you probably want a staff, heavy blade or axe to go with the power strike mods, gouge is the best bet, and has a lot of other nasty uses such as suprising charge, etc).

In general though, targetting only AC isn't too big a problem ... a lot of weapon classes do that, athough most have a couple options for NAD attacks.

If you are an implement character on the other hand, you don't get the natural to-hit boost and you are more reliant on being able to target various Non AC defenses. Focusing on say, nothing but Fort or Reflex could be very bad ... there are a few monsters out there with AC as good as (or better) in those stats, in which case you'd be quite a bit behind a weapon user in those situations. While it's possible to build a singularly focused character, only AC has classes that are pretty much locked into a single defense.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
If you're really worried, burn a feat to multiclass into something that lets you choose powers that target other defenses.

WalterKovacs

First Post
If you're really worried, burn a feat to multiclass into something that lets you choose powers that target other defenses.

The slayer doesn't have a ton of options in that regard. They can take the feat to replace one use of power strike with a fighter encounter power though (which can give them some NAD targeting stuff, like Come and Get It which attacks will now).

They could grab one of the feats that gives them an at-will to be used as an encounter power, but most of those aren't going to be useful for a Str/Dex based weapon wielder. The best case scenario may be going human for the bonus at-will [you only really have the one fighter option that's against fort, but there are a couple with bonuses to hit, and you can find some style feats to modify some of the other at-will powes to target a non-AC defense. (half-elf dilletante means you aren't boosting either of your primary stats).

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
They could grab one of the feats that gives them an at-will to be used as an encounter power, but most of those aren't going to be useful for a Str/Dex based weapon wielder.
It depends on what you mean by useful.

Even with a minimal stat bonus, many 1st level Wizard spells are useful. Just looking at the PHB and HotFL: Cloud of Daggers, Freezing Burst & Scorching burst are AoE attacks vs Ref, Thunderwave is an AoE vs Fort, Beguiling Strands is an AoE vs Will. The revised MM is again an Auto-hit.

No, you won't have great odds of hitting an individual target (except with MM, of course), and any damage will be minimal, but as AoE effect spells, they'll probably do SOMETHING- which, if your attacks vs AC aren't working, means you're contributing again.

Or take something from the Warlock list like Eyebite and then you can take Sacrifice to Caiphon and spam it like an At-Will.

Last edited:

Prestidigitalis

First Post
The ultimate accessory for a Slayer is a Tactical Warlord with Commander's Strike, Lend Might and Lend Strength. Set up for flanking, and let the fun begin when your buddy tells you to attack with +3 attack (+1 Lend Might, +2 flanking) and +8 damage (+6 Commander's Strike Int bonus, +2 Lend Strength).

Mentat55

First Post
Martial Cross-Training would allow you to swap out one use of power strike for a fighter encounter power, some of which target Fortitude or Reflex, and at least one (come and get it) that targets Will. If you take a paragon path other than Mythic Slayer, you get another encounter attack power, which you can keep or swap using Reserve Maneuver.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads