Charge Bonus on a Pounce?

Keldin

First Post
I figure that this question has probably been answered, but I can't seem to find it if it has - my Google-fu appears lacking in this case.

I'm well aware that a creature (or character) with the Pounce special ability gets a full attack if he charges. My question: Do these attacks gain the +2 charge bonus to hit? More precisely, do ALL of the attacks in this pounce full attack gain this bonus? Why or why not?

delericho

Legend
That's an interesting question. I had assumed the answer was "yes", but I can't find any actual statement to that effect. And there is some precedent for the alternative - if you get an AoO after a charge, that doesn't get the +2 bonus on the attack roll.

My inclination is to say "yes". The full attack is considered a part of the charge (modified by pounce), and so all attacks gain the bonus. (Whereas in the AoO case, that attack isn't part of the charge, but comes later.)

Delericho pretty much nails it on the head from what I've seen with 3e. Each attack during a pounce is still part of a charge, so each one gets the +2 bonus. I'm not sure if it's actually noted like that in the rules though, so let's see if some of the creatures with rake (only possible with a pounce or grapple) have an attack bonus listed for it...

Hm, the lion entry has it listed as +7, which is correct for a regular attack since it has +3 BAB, +5 Str, and -1 size. So I suppose it's listed like that for grappling.

The charge rules themselves don't say anything about what happens with extra attacks if a creature gets them, and the pounce ability is likewise mum.

Aha! Page 101 of the Rules Compendium has this to say:

Rules Compendium said:
Pounce
When a creature that has this extraordinary special attack charges, it can still make a full attack even if it charged while restricted to a single action. All its attacks receive the +2 bonus on attack rolls gained from charging. If it uses its attacks to successfully start a grapple, and it has the rake ability, it can also make rake attacks.

Emphasis added for the relevant bit.

Keldin

First Post
Thank you! That's what I was looking for -- some kind of rules citation that listed it either way, because, frankly, while I was also leaning in this direction, I wanted to have something to cite just in case.

Remove ads