• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 Chases By the 3.5 Book!

Water Bob

Adventurer
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/adventuring/actionPoints.htm

It's a variant rule, makingitoptional in the same waythatprestige classes , or virtually anything at all in the DMG, optional.

I'd say that they are "very" optional and not at all like prestige classes but more like the various optional rules in the DMG such as Damage to Specific areas and such.

The point I made in the OP is that chase can easily be run using the same rules that players use whenever they play 3.5. No variant rules. No optional rules. No House rules. That system uses official 3.5 rules, by the book.

nijineko

Explorer
well, it is also official in eberron setting, and modern, and star wars (if i am told correctly), which makes it not optional, but perhaps only for those settings.

so why bring up chases in the first place if it is already in the book as is? sorta sounded like you were trying to figure it out. which implies other things, but anyway.

Water Bob

Adventurer
so why bring up chases in the first place if it is already in the book as is? sorta sounded like you were trying to figure it out. which implies other things, but anyway.

Because many people think that the standard D&D d20 rules need something extra to perform chases. That's why books like Hot Pursuit are out there and why d20 based games like Spycraft have extra rules for chases.

I was looking at creating some easy to use rules when I realized that I didn't need to create anything. Everything a GM needs to run a chase is included in the movement rules, though albeit a bit hidden.

This thread is meant to shine a flashlight on the hidden.

nijineko

Explorer
Because many people think that the standard D&D d20 rules need something extra to perform chases. That's why books like Hot Pursuit are out there and why d20 based games like Spycraft have extra rules for chases.

I was looking at creating some easy to use rules when I realized that I didn't need to create anything. Everything a GM needs to run a chase is included in the movement rules, though albeit a bit hidden.

This thread is meant to shine a flashlight on the hidden.

ah, that makes sense. at least, your reasoning does. not sure why people don't spot the implication in the rules, but oh well. ^^ thanks. =D

Remove ads