D&D 5E Check me on this: using a named NPC from, say, Mystara in a Dungeon Master's Guild publication is off-limits.

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
I'm currently editing an adventure intended for publication in the Dungeon Master's Guild, and the writer chose to include a famous NPC who is NOT from the Forgotten Realms (or Ravenloft). That character needs to be changed, correct?

As I read it the only stuff that can be used in DMs Guild publications is stuff from the Realms of Ravenloft. So use of Elminster or Rudolph van Richten would be fine, for example, but the use of Rikus or Raistlin or Meepo would not. Can anybody better-versed in publishing on the site confirm this one for me please? I'd hate to hack up this person's work if I don't have to.

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
That would be correct, from what you describe.

If DM's Guild stipulates that characters from FR and Ravenloft are fair game, but does not state Mystara is, then a published NPC from Mystara is still the IP and copyrighted property of whomever owns Mystara's copyrights (presumably WotC).

IOW, no use-y without permish-y.

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
That would be correct, from what you describe.

If DM's Guild stipulates that characters from FR and Ravenloft are fair game, but does not state Mystara is, then a published NPC from Mystara is still the IP and copyrighted property of whomever owns Mystara's copyrights (presumably WotC).

IOW, no use-y without permish-y.

That's what I thought. I was asking largely because it's so weird to me that this person would have used such an obviously off-limits character. I thought maybe I had missed something.

Thank you.

S'mon

Legend
Well Meepo is in Tales From the Yawning Portal which includes advice on setting in FR. Page 9. So surely an FR-set sequel to Sunless Citadel featuring Meepo would be fine?

Having Raistlin come in from Dragonlance land to your DM's Guild adventure prob not fine.

Quickleaf

Legend
The author could write to WOTC to request permission. It never hurts to ask.

My experience is that the point of contact for these sorts of DMs Guild questions isn't WotC, but rather Matt McElroy and rest of the DMs Guild/Drivethru team at OneBookShelf.

Also from experience, most of the times I've inquired with WotC I never hear back, but when I inquire with DMs Guild...well..there's a long period of radio silence and then I hear back after 2-4 weeks. Maybe. But maybe you'd have better luck on Twitter or something?

As I understand it, the people on the WotC team we recognize (Mike Mearls, Chris Perkins, Jeremy Crawford, etc) aren't really in charge of the DMs Guild thing. Honestly, I'm not sure who at WotC oversees it.

Remove ads