Check Out CURSE OF STRAHD'S Table of Contents!

THAT'S where the Mongrelfolk appear! That was a long time coming!

RotGrub

First Post
I don't think it's sales to be honest. If the upcoming AP is successful and the followed it up with a Domains of Dread book covering all of Ravenloft then it would sell extremely well. They are trying to keep all the focus on Forgotten Realms while using Ravenloft as a little side trek.

I don't think this is the case. They did the same thing with the FR and left us all wondering when they were going to update the campaign setting. Apparently, Chris was under the impression that he was already doing that via modules.

IMO, if WotC published a book that included updated 5e rules and options (for players and DMs) for all the D&D campaign settings most people would buy it.

The idea that every single product must be part of a grant story is rather limiting. Sure, they don't need to do what TSR did, but they can't ignore the fact that some non adventure books can sell very well.

Now, if WotC wants to ensure that all of their products are playable, there is nothing stopping them from including a small adventure or two.

My group can't be the only one to run custom adventures using official campaign settings. Sadly, I can't say we don't feel left out. WotC clearly doesn't want our money.

I admit that I'm out of touch. I started playing 5e after not having played DnD since 1e nor any TRPG since the early 90s. But when did it become an expectation that an adventure would have class options.

It's an expectation because 1) they have before and 2) if you don't count adventure path books, they have released one supplement with more race/class options in this entire edition.

Then again, you're pretty clearly of the "players shouldn't be allowed to enjoy playing things I don't and knowing the setting is cheating" camp, which does indeed make you out of touch.

Last edited by a moderator:

ZzarkLinux

First Post
The idea that every single product must be part of a grant story is rather limiting. Sure, they don't need to do what TSR did, but they can't ignore the fact that some non adventure books can sell very well.

It must become part of a grand story if they want to re-sell you more Ravenloft at a later date. It's the same with Magic the Gathering: Resell the same mechanics again and again, just with refreshed artwork and refreshed hype.

If they were to give you "one true settings book" at $50, then they're done. Kaput. "Expansions" and "fantasy novels" won't sell to fans, because the fans already have the "one true Ravenloft" book.

But if they only give you one adventure path at $50, then next year people are hungering for more Horror and Terror, then WotC can put out another $50 adventure path. Then the next year, Star Wars: the Terrible Mists movie is released, and WotC sees enough market to put out another $50 adventure path to cash in on all the hype.

I guess I'm saying that "hype sells" and "one true core book" ends product lines and kills the IP.

doctheweasel

Explorer
I don't understand why there would be a bunch of character options. If the conceit is that the characters are drawn into Barovia from outside, then those options would all be non-Ravenloft stuff.

occam

Adventurer
I had already known they were missing, but it is still sad to see a lack of Dark Power checks. Not having Dark Power checks in Ravenloft is a bit like not having psionics in Darksun.

There were no Dark Powers checks in the original adventure. This adventure has almost nothing to do with Ravenloft the Campaign Setting.

speculart

First Post
I don't understand why there would be a bunch of character options. If the conceit is that the characters are drawn into Barovia from outside, then those options would all be non-Ravenloft stuff.

That's my thought as well. Doesn't make sense to have Barovian backgrounds. But the one released had some great ideas that would help instill the mood that you are after.
I would love a bunch of 'damaged' backgrounds so I could send a party of jelly legged, mentally disturbed, bed wetters through the mists.
I was holding off on character creation Untill I saw the rest of the backgrounds available. But now I think we can push ahead and start making a bunch of girlishly squealing nervous nellys.

doctheweasel

Explorer
There were no Dark Powers checks in the original adventure. This adventure has almost nothing to do with Ravenloft the Campaign Setting.

Plus, while Dark Powers checks are great for your personal campaign, I don't think this story is supposed to be about the PCs slowly becoming monsters. Having them here would just run counter to the module's story.

Granted, I'd have liked to have seen a lot more monsters listed, but what as far as mechanics is everyone looking for? The DMG has all of the rules for fear and sanity. I'd think that's all you'd need for this particular game...

Depending on how it goes, I do look to use a variation of the Haunting rules from Paizo/Pathfinder but that's it.

Shasarak

Banned
Banned
So from the looks of it.

No new mechanics to use as a DM unless those marks of power are that. Even then that seems really small for a setting with a COMPLETELY different feel than the standard.

No new player options.

No real look of Ravenloft in any real depth. Just possibly a brief intro to Strahd and Barovia.

Man. This is starting to look disappointing. I know I'm not the target audience, but still..

Yeah, it seems like it is going to be a quiet six months.

I'm a little disappointed that there isn't a "mini gazetteer" of the domains of dread included, but I didn't really expect it, since this is a reimagining of the I6 module. Looks interesting though, but still definitely a module and not a setting book.

Remove ads

Remove ads