Check out this awesome free supplement for magic item prices, gp=xp, and more!

Blacky the Blackball of rpg.net is the creator of retro clones such as Dark Dungeons and a converion of the domain and mass combat rules of the Companion Set to 5E, the Immortals Rules to 5E and much more.

He has just completed an awesome free supplement that adds gp prices and appropiate levels for when they should be available to PCs to magic items. Also included are treasure parcel mechanics and how to use those for gp=xp, and much more. Check it out.

The discussion behind can be found here.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
I'll check it out, just on the strength of Dark Dungeons, which is fantastic work.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
I like this - although I fear the *implications* it may have

Some comments:

The Defender - I find peculiar this AC boosting weapon is in the same category as armor +2.

Efretti chain: I also find it particular that this +3 armor with fire resistance (immunity?) is on the same category as armor +2

Vicious weapon: This is clearly worse than a +1 weapon.

Trident of fish command: This is *way* better than in older editions... but as good as a +3 weapon? Really?

edit: for some bizarre reason, control-F will *not* work with this file *if* I search for staff. I can find other items just fine... weird.

Last edited:

CapnZapp

Legend
[MENTION=12731]CapnZapp[/MENTION]

Ha! I was going to post the same thing!
If you had checked the rpg.net discussion you would not have bothered. Blacky's convinced his convoluted approach is The One True Path, and no amount of argument could convince him otherwise. He's incredibly dismissive of other wealth curves than his own, and he shoots down any suggestion to vary or broaden his approach as plain incorrect, despite me showing him where he's making very supposititious assumptions. So I left him to it, and don't plan to return.

But thanks for the thought. I appreciate it.

CapnZapp

Legend
I like this - although I fear the *implications* it may have

Efretti chain: I also find it particular that this +3 armor with fire resistance (immunity?) is on the same category as armor +2

Vicious weapon: This is clearly worse than a +1 weapon.
Efreeti Chain is precisely that - chain. Its +3 is effectively only Plate +1. I imagine that leaves fire immunity equal to another +1.

Vicious weapons: all magic weapons do magical damage (that is, aren't halved by resistance to non-magical blunt/slash/pierce). I imagine this puts a hard lower boundary to cost. Another way to look at it is: the Vicious weapon is a +0 magic weapon; and a +1 Weapon is "only" +1 to attack and +1 to damage on top of that - not enough to increase the price sufficiently.

If you had checked the rpg.net discussion you would not have bothered. Blacky's convinced his convoluted approach is The One True Path, and no amount of argument could convince him otherwise. He's incredibly dismissive of other wealth curves than his own, and he shoots down any suggestion to vary or broaden his approach as plain incorrect, despite me showing him where he's making very supposititious assumptions. So I left him to it, and don't plan to return.
That's one view on Blacky's approach. I'm sure there are others.

CapnZapp

Legend
That's one view on Blacky's approach. I'm sure there are others.
Yeah, I should add that his results (the thing that actually matters) are probably useful, and will most certainly be an improvement over the DMG regardless. His approach, on the other hand, ..., well, it is something few of you need to worry about. I just replied because I was summoned.

Remove ads