• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Check this race please

justinsluder

First Post
Does this appear to be a balanced LA +0 race?

• –2 Dexterity; also one of the following +2 Strength or +2 Constitution
• Medium: As Medium creatures, half-giants have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
• Base land speed is 30 feet.
• Low-Light Vision
• Powerful Build: Their physical stature lets them function in many ways as if they were one size category larger.
Whenever they are subject to a size modifier or special size modifier for an opposed check (such as during grapple checks, bull rush attempts, and trip attempts), they are treated as one size larger if doing so is advantageous to him.
They are also considered to be one size larger when determining whether a creature’s special attacks based on size (such as improved grab or swallow whole) can affect him. They can use weapons designed for a creature one size larger without penalty. However, their space and reach remain those of a creature of his actual size. The benefits of this racial trait stack with the effects of powers, abilities, and spells that change the subject’s size category.

GreatLemur

Explorer
Wait, didn't we just have two different threads about Powerful Build, with most people concluding that it was worth at least +1 or +2 LA? I mean, even ignoring all the miscellaneous combat bonuses, it means an additional d6 of damage when using a greatsword. That's pretty badass.

Engilbrand

First Post
Because that 1d6 really matters after a couple of levels. Besides, who's to say that this sort of character isn't going to be Sword and Board. I like the either/or for stats. I wish that this was done more often.

justinsluder

First Post
Engilbrand said:
Because that 1d6 really matters after a couple of levels. Besides, who's to say that this sort of character isn't going to be Sword and Board. I like the either/or for stats. I wish that this was done more often.

In other words you'd like to see elves that get +2 Dex OR +2 Int? Something like that? It's what I do in my homebrew.

justinsluder

First Post
Thanks for the feedback.

The above is actually a non-psionic version of the half-giant. I just didn't want people talking about "why not just use them as published". They do exist, these just make it so a person can play them without sacrificing a level.

This variant is the child of a psionic half-giant and a human. Their type is Monstrous Humanoid.

sirwmholder

First Post
GreatLemur said:
Wait, didn't we just have two different threads about Powerful Build, with most people concluding that it was worth at least +1 or +2 LA? I mean, even ignoring all the miscellaneous combat bonuses, it means an additional d6 of damage when using a greatsword. That's pretty badass.
Powerful build is worth a +1 maybe even a +2 if used with other abilities. Though in those same threads there is a Dwarf writeup that starts Dwarves as small with "Powerful Build" that is slighter weaker than core which is a LA +0.

It depends on if you are just adding it to an existing Monster or stating one up from scratch.

William Holder

GreatLemur

Explorer
Engilbrand said:
Because that 1d6 really matters after a couple of levels. Besides, who's to say that this sort of character isn't going to be Sword and Board.
Sure, it'd be pretty reasonable if the character actually didn't go two-handed, but I figure you've got to consider worst-case scenarios when it comes to balance. I'm no good at exploiting mechanics, but Monkey Grip and a huge greatsword come to mind. And at higher levels, 4d6 per attack should stack up pretty brutally with iterative attacks.

I don't think a balanced +0 LA race with Powerful Build is impossible, mind you. Hell, I'd love to play one. I just think Powerful Build is worth a lot by itself, and this race isn't really balancing it with any actual penalties.

Last edited:

Destil

Explorer
I think it would be too strong with the Str bonus, because of the synergy between that and powerful build.

I'd allow it with the Con bonus, though it would be strong for a two-hand weapon type and I would possibly reserve the right to change them later if it proved overly strong in the play.

If I were feeling conservative I would allow it only with no bonuses (still -2 Dex) without any qualms.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads