D&D 3E/3.5 Chi Staff and 3.5

adienpryde

First Post
With the new Ki Strike in 3.5, how does it work with the Chi Staff in Sword and Fist? I have a level 10 monk that has Ki Strike Magical and Law, Is my Chi Staff a +2 weapon now, Does it have Magical and Lawful Ki Strike, or does it have both? I checked the booklet that came with the DM screen, but it said nothing about it.

Silveras

First Post
Taking a guess

The general rule on material from Sword & Fist, Tome & Blood, Defenders of the Faith, etc., is to use them as-is, with only obvious changes (like, for example, the version of Wild Shape in Masters of the Wild can't be used).

If you mean a staff with the Ki Focus quality, from my reading it conveys the power of whatever the monk has with his/her Ki strikes. So, if the monk has Axiomatic (Lawful) and Magical qualities, the staff carries those through. This does not change the effective + of the weapon (had to be +1 to start; the Ki Focus adds the cost of another +1, but does not actually add +1). Note that, because it had to be a +1 weapon anyway, it is already Magical. The Ki Focus ability just lets it be Axiomatic (or whatever else the Monk has), too.

The best chance for an update in the near future is the Complete Warrior, due later this year (December, I think). It will probably update *some* things that were in Sword & Fist, but we do not know just which ones, yet.

Remove ads