Chicago Gameday - The Aftermath!!!!

Painfully

First Post
Thanks to all of my players. I am disappointed that we did not quite reach the second incarnation of Flame, the dragon. But all in all, it was a good fight all the way to the end, the first ending anyway.

I look forward to offering a very cool Savage Species adventure for the next game day, and I promise to post early. Be like Hulk, and unleash the savage beast inside YOU! Coming soon to EN World's Chicago gameday!

As always, Curt was a great host, and Mark and Matty kept their players in good cheer. The turnout may have been a bit smaller, but the fun was certainly there at Games Plus. The place was actually packed when I arrived at 3:00 pm, and that was supposed to be the break time!

I had a peek at all the 3.5 books, and I think they are NOT BAD. I certainly think a few things could have been done better. I also think those things would not have required an entire 3.5 revision. When it comes right down to it though, in the end, I know I will buy them. They are the core books, after all.

I only arrived at the gameday for the second half, so I didn't take extensive photos of all the game groups like last time. But check this out (and I'm still missing two full tables of gamers, and the front sales area of the store):

Attachments

• image3.jpg
    image3.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 123

thalmin

Retired game store owner
I just got home and am dead tired, so this is going to be short.

Thanks to Matt for organizing another fun gameday. Mark, thanks for the vikings game. TPK! Thanks to all the GM's for your extra efforts to make this a success. And a big THANK YOU to everyone who came out and had a good time. That's what the gamedays are about. Having a good time with great people. Hope to see everyone again next time.

More later when I am awake.

Pbartender

First Post
Barendd Nobeard said:
I have seen the new books. Here is a picture from a PHB:

Is it just me, Barendd, or is that the 3.0 Table for the Ranger? Did they just not put the new table in for this preview copy? Just curious.

rowport

First Post
Chicago Game Day is worth far more than the price of admission! (Wait- it is free- but that is another great reason to go!)

I had a fantastic time playing, and met some cool people. Mark's Viking game rocked. Although we had total party death (as more-or-less promised by Mark beforehand!) we came within 4 HP of defeating a demonic giant dude! Instead, he and his little sword likely took over the world- but that is another story...

Despite his growling protests to the contrary, Mark is a very player-friendly GM, who runs a creative game, with an emphasis on fast in-character combat. (Move where you're moving! Don't count those squares!) I thought his theme music was fantastic- there was one section where it echoed the sound of giant footsteps...

Ejja_1 is a great character player. He spoke in character, acted in character, and (later) attacked his former comdrades in character! (This, of course, after I attacked him- but again, that is another story...) His fighter Helgar rocked in combat- multiple crits in every battle. Wow- a sight to see.

Thalmin is a thoughtful player, who clearly considers his actions carefully before acting in character. He proved that even an engineer (Expert Olaf) can be deadly- maxing a crit against a tough croc fighter! And, he earned a life-debt from my character Bjort; unfortunately, we both died soon thereafter... :) In his Curt incarnation, he is also a wonderful host. Having coffee and donuts at the store was way above and beyond my expectations (I ate my share). Curt's store is the biggest and best game store I have ever seen. I picked up a splatbook and UNTIL Powers Database yesterday; I will need more time to return later just to look through the aisles of miniatures!!

MattyHelms is a gamer's gamer. He played a class he had never tried before, throwing a druid without spells memorized against a bear twenty feet tall, then had the temerity to challenge Helgar after watching him demolish multiple foes!! After all, Helgar was being controlled by an unnatural demonic sword, and Thoradin was not putting up with that nonsense...

I will absolutely plan to attend the next Game Day in October- only the birth of my daughter then will keep me away! Thanks, guys.

Pbartender said:

Is it just me, Barendd, or is that the 3.0 Table for the Ranger? Did they just not put the new table in for this preview copy? Just curious.
No, it's not just you--see Curt's post right after your.

Actually, since there was a "no content dissemination rule" about the new books, I joked to Curt that I would post a picture of a 3.0 PHB and see if anyone noticed. (And naturally it had to be a table where the joke would not be too difficult to spot--I mean, the fighter table looks exactly the same).

For being the first to spot the joke, where can I send your prize? I'm thinking, a copy of Synnibar would be most appropriate.... :D

MattyHelms

First Post
Where to begin?

First off - as always, thank you to every one who could make it out. The Gameday, though smaller this time around, was the most enjoyable one I've been to. It was great to meet some new faces, see some old ones again, and try some stuff I never thought I should.

First slot - Mark's Viking game. Tough and fun. Not only had I not played D&D for over a year, I had never played a druid. In a bit of preperation for my Synnibarr game, we were attacked by a huge bear. Good times. Ejja_1 rocked as a player, rowport was a great dwarf (who survived being crushed twice!), thalmin was (as rowport pointed out) one of the most thoughtful players I have ever played with. And what can you say about Mark (except he is banned from breakfast for life :) )? Sign up for his games if you've never had the chance, people.

Second slot - Synnibarr. Hmm. It's probably best for me to face this game sooner or later. Actually you should really check out Barendd's awesome photo recap of it. He did forget to mention how running Synnibarr made me lose control of all body fucntions, turn my back on hope and love, pray for an annuerism, and lose the capacity for meaningful human contact. 2-1/2 hours for character generation and two people dead in four minutes - BEAT THAT, MARK!!!! :)

"Congratulations" to Barendd for now being a "proud" owner of Synnibarr.

Despite the fact I hated every second of it, I will be running Synnibarr at the next Gameday.

In summation, thank you every one. Thanks Curt for helping run and hosting it. Thank you Games Plus staff for all your help. Thank you GM's for running. And thank you supporters. It was your day and let's do it again soon!

If you can think of anything you'd like done different let me know. Otherwise, I can be reached through my therapist. :)

Thanks,
Matt

MattyHelms said:
Where to begin?

Second slot - Synnibarr. Hmm. It's probably best for me to face this game sooner or later. Actually you should really check out Barendd's awesome photo recap of it. He did forget to mention how running Synnibarr made me lose control of all body fucntions, turn my back on hope and love, pray for an annuerism, and lose the capacity for meaningful human contact. 2-1/2 hours for character generation and two people dead in four minutes - BEAT THAT, MARK!!!! :)

"Congratulations" to Barendd for now being a "proud" owner of Synnibarr.

Despite the fact I hated every second of it, I will be running Synnibarr at the next Gameday.
So you're a masochist, too.

I did already mention the anuerism, in my list of "Favorite Exchanges" from the game. I could never forget a comment that hysterical!

Maybe at the next GameDay, people should have to "buy in" to the Synnibar game with a payment to your therapist. :p

As for being a "proud" owner, check out my new location and .sig :D

Pbartender

First Post
Barendd Nobeard said:
No, it's not just you--see Curt's post right after your.

Actually, since there was a "no content dissemination rule" about the new books, I joked to Curt that I would post a picture of a 3.0 PHB and see if anyone noticed. (And naturally it had to be a table where the joke would not be too difficult to spot--I mean, the fighter table looks exactly the same).

You know... I had a sneaking suspicion that someone had just snapped a shot of a 3.0 book for joke.

But you never know with WotC.

Barendd Nobeard said:
For being the first to spot the joke, where can I send your prize? I'm thinking, a copy of Synnibar would be most appropriate.... :D

Yes. Most appropriate.

Send it to:

501 Luster Ave
Madison, WI 53704-1517

Remove ads