Chicago Gameday XXI was November 8th: Aftermath...

Tofu_Master

Explorer
pAINFULLY

Yes, you are correct, Mark, he does go by Painfully. Also, he'll sometimes write his name Jon for certain things (like high scores on video games, etc...), but it's actually John. In the pic you posted: Jason is across from John & Carden is across from Curt. John's holding the box top.

And now I remember that the guy from the Scooby game was named Nick.

Good stuff. Thanks.

Last edited:

GreatLemur

Explorer
A big thanks to Solodan and everybody else in his Living Forgotten Realms game. That was a hell of a lot of fun. 4e totally performed as advertised: Even at first level, the game was full of interesting abilities and tactical choices. We were basically all new to the system, but it ran pretty smoothly, and we triumphed in the end after almost getting TPKed by a swarm of magical ants. It was badass. I never really had any interest in the RPGA or Forgotten Realms, but I'd really love to do that again.

I only wish I'd had more time that day, so that I could've played a morning slot as well (sounds like I missed some high-grade awesome, Nev!), and had time to browse the shop.

The next Gameday seriously cannot come soon enough.

ekb

First Post
The next Gameday seriously cannot come soon enough.
Agreed, especially given many of the items I found while browsing the shop...

Y'see, I'm a big fan of independent-type games... notably Reign & the rest of the ORE "set" - Godlike, Wild Talents, Monsters & Other Childish Things... But I didn't run Reign this time out because AFAIK it was only available via Lulu, IPR and other fine electronic only retailers. Call me crazy for wanting to stick to things that may be new to my players - but easily acquired at a reasonable price in the other room...

So imagine my surprise at seeing copies on the shelves. FTW!

My game was excellent fun (all due to the players and in spite of my own efforts). That just topped it off...

ekb

First Post
My game was excellent fun (all due to the players and in spite of my own efforts).
Now that EN has stopped logging me off as I type, I think I should explain this comment:

I started late. I deviated from my original character assignments. My rules briefing ran overlong. I did something for effect that caused some raised eyebrows on a meta-level...

Despite all of this, I think everyone had a good time. I definitely did...

Some Highlights:
  • The look on their faces when I erased "Raiders of the Lost Tomb" and replaced it with the far more accurate "Scooby versus The Tomb of Horrors." Flawless!
  • Yes, it was Module S1 as updated by WotC to comply with the OGL "Return To..." Why'd you ask? ;)
  • Speaking of which, only one character chose to interact with The Face - in the form of feeding an NPC into it. Good thing there's no alignment, isn't it?
  • Velma. Arch. Her clothes went to room 33, she went to room 6... but she kept her glasses.
  • Daphne got some... and with a B.A.R., no less.
  • The rules-bending got picked up on. If Dr Dinkley kept doing her "special math," she would have wound up having NO saving throw in just a few rooms. Kinda good we ended when we did, no?
  • Belloq was a total f'ing bastard. Even more of a bastard than I thought he'd be - but an utterly despicable human. Which made him perfectly pulp. Kudos, M. Gorak...
  • Fred & Scooby didn't get quite as much time in the spotlight as I'd had hoped - but what they did get, they made the most of.

Nazriel

First Post
ekb,

Loved the premise of the game. Only friendly suggestion is that in the future (because I would like to do such a game with such characters again! Pleeeeease!), to keep with an entirely Scooby PCs motif, in place of any bastard mercs, we go with a selection from the following: ;)

A. Phyllis Diller
B. Don Knots
C. The Harlem Globetrotters
D. Batman and/or Robin
E. The Three Stooges
F. Josie and the Pussycats (up to 6 additional PCs!)

Again, thank you for running the game; and thanks to Buzz and Thalmin for continuing to make the Gamedays happen. :)

ekb

First Post
Loved the premise of the game. Only friendly suggestion is that in the future (because I would like to do such a game with such characters again! Pleeeeease!), to keep with an entirely Scooby PCs motif, in place of any bastard mercs, we go with a selection from the following: ;)
Well, next time out I won't be running Scooby characters - I'm hoping that I can run either Reign or A Dirty World, which means that char.gen will happen at the table (since it's a single roll with some lookup). I've a couple of BRP scenarios from back-in-the-day that would be easily adapted to Reign, so I might as well... ;)

Seriously, if Curt et al are buying the quantity of indie games that I saw on the shelves saturday, I think it'd be a Good Thing for me to run some of those and leave the d20-esque stuff to others. One of the things I love about convention games is seeing NEW stuff that I've not seen before and even getting my grubby mitts into some. The write-up on "Committee..." makes me want to get it for the family ASAP. What I overheard of the Serenity game also sounds promising enough to look into it.

Aeros

First Post
Paul, glad to hear you're ok

Hello Paul,

I'm glad to hear you're ok after the accident, and no one was injured. I hope the damage to your car wasn't too severe, and that everything works out accordingly.

Not to worry for sure, everyone was placed into a game. And to be honest, I've never been bored while at Games+! :D

Nat is correct, we played a game of A Touch of Evil, a fun game for certain.

I hope all is well and you're doing fine.

Remove ads